Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

SHOCKS\MUFFLER

fatboy98
honda305.com Member

SHOCKS\MUFFLER

Post by fatboy98 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:27 pm

WHAT AND WHERE CAN I GET REAR OEM LOOKING SHOCKS? AND WHAT ARE PEOPLE USING FOR MUFFLERS? ALSO LOOKING FOR REAL GOOD DETAILED PICTURES SO I CAN PUT THIS BACK TOGETHER RIGHT. THANX AGAIN FOR THE HELP. OH YA ONE MORE WHERE DO I GET OEM LOOKING TIRES? ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW THE CENTER TO CENTER ON THE EYES FOR THE REAR SHOCKS?

G3
honda305.com Member

Post by G3 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm

SHOCKS: Check EBay for new aftermarket and used.

MUFFLERS: IF your pipes have been cut...you might need a new set to mount the OEM muffler. IF you can find an OEM muffler that will slip onto your pipes, you’re in luck. But search it out on google or EBay as there may be aftermarket ones $$$$. If you’re looking to just quiet the straight pipes down, “snuff or nots” will help, or pick up a couple of VW exhaust tips, remove the baffle, and they slip right in the original pipe ends.

TIRES: Dunlop K70 series I believe are the vintage type.

CENTER TO CENTER EYELETS: Right now on mine, 12” is eye to eye.

PICTURES: Again, search the interne5 for I ages of the Scrambler...you’ll find ‘em.

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:46 pm

What year/model..........Color?

I have several sets of shocks........most need TLC...........I also have a few top and bottom covers in various stages of repair...........and a guppy muffler that needs repair........or a set of shorty mufflers in fair shape........or used snuff-r-nots.........also have trials-tread tires in correct sizes.

Unfortunately I won't be back to my 'stash' until next spring...........but the parts are out there if your patient.

fatboy98
honda305.com Member

Post by fatboy98 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:49 am

G3 wrote:SHOCKS: Check EBay for new aftermarket and used.

MUFFLERS: IF your pipes have been cut...you might need a new set to mount the OEM muffler. IF you can find an OEM muffler that will slip onto your pipes, you’re in luck. But search it out on google or EBay as there may be aftermarket ones $$$$. If you’re looking to just quiet the straight pipes down, “snuff or nots” will help, or pick up a couple of VW exhaust tips, remove the baffle, and they slip right in the original pipe ends.

PICTURES: Again, search the interne5 for I ages of the Scrambler...you’ll find ‘em.[/q
thanx g3 I found shocks on ebay and I think I am goin with snuff or nots. I am also looking for that guard that goes on the frame on the bottom in the front. anyone got one of those layin around? thanx again.

fatboy98
honda305.com Member

Post by fatboy98 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 am

OldScrambler wrote:What year/model..........Color?

I have several sets of shocks........most need TLC...........I also have a few top and bottom covers in various stages of repair...........and a guppy muffler that needs repair........or a set of shorty mufflers in fair shape........or used snuff-r-nots.........also have trials-tread tires in correct sizes.

Unfortunately I won't be back to my 'stash' until next spring...........but the parts are out there if your patient.
HEY OLD SRAMBLER I FOUND SHOCKS. I AM ALSO LOOKIN FOR THAT GUARD THAT GOES ON THE FRAME ON THE BOTTOM IN THE FRONT. THANX AGAIN

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm

HONDA didn't install DUNLOP K70 tires on any CL72/77.
They installed DUNLOP UNIVERSAL until APX. 1966 and then installed BRIDGSTONE UNIVERSAL. ..................lm

G3 wrote:SHOCKS: Check EBay for new aftermarket and used.

PICTURES: Again, search the interne5 for I ages of the Scrambler...you’ll find ‘em.

DJM
honda305.com Member

CL77 tyre choices.

Post by DJM » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:44 pm

Loud Mouse is of course correct (as always) about OEM tyres fitted to the CL72 and 77.

Marketed as a 'Scrambler' (It even says that on the Owner's Handbook) and dual purpose machine it was inevitable that Honda fitted 'Trials Universal' tyres to fit the bikes image, even if most buyers did the majority of miles on the road / street.

When I built my CL77 ten years ago now, I realized that I wouldn't ever be riding it 'off road' so made a deliberate decision to fit 'road' tyres although I did go for a period look.

As CLs were never sold here in the UK I had never ridden one before so didn't know what to expect in the handling / roadholding department.

I was / am still pleasantly surprised in that the CL, fitted with road tyres, handles and corners just as well as my CB77 and of course, with those high pipes it has plenty of cornering ground clearance.

For what it's worth, if you're building a 'show bike' then go with the trials look but if your building a rider give serious thought to fitting road going tyres unless you intend some serious off road miles.

I managed to find the K70 look-alikes from Mitas / Chen Shing in the correct sizes for the CL77 and they have a suitable period look about them and work very well.

The only downside is that the rubber is quite soft and they don't deliver great mileage but I suppose that's a trade off for the excellent grip properties, there not too expensive so you can't have it all ways can you?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home