Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 tyre choice

DJM
honda305.com Member

CL77 tyre choice

Post by DJM » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:58 am

Posted here in response to a query under another heading.

Loud Mouse is of course correct (as always) about OEM tyres fitted to the CL72 and 77.

Marketed as a 'Scrambler' (It even says that on the Owner's Handbook) and dual purpose machine it was inevitable that Honda fitted 'Trials Universal' tyres to fit the bikes image, even if most buyers did the majority of miles on the road / street.

When I built my CL77 ten years ago now, I realized that I wouldn't ever be riding it 'off road' so made a deliberate decision to fit 'road' tyres although I did go for a period look.

As CLs were never sold here in the UK I had never ridden one before so didn't know what to expect in the handling / roadholding department.

I was / am still pleasantly surprised in that the CL, fitted with road tyres, handles and corners just as well as my CB77 and of course, with those high pipes it has plenty of cornering ground clearance.

For what it's worth, if you're building a 'show bike' then go with the trials look but if your building a rider give serious thought to fitting road going tyres unless you intend some serious off road miles.

I managed to find the K70 look-alikes from Mitas / Chen Shing in the correct sizes for the CL77 and they have a suitable period look about them and work very well.

The only downside is that the rubber is quite soft and they don't deliver great mileage but I suppose that's a trade off for the excellent grip properties, there not too expensive so you can't have it all ways can you?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home