Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

New member introduction and new project

Moto-reve
honda305.com Member

New member introduction and new project

Post by Moto-reve » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:37 am

Morning all,

I picked up my new project yesterday. Got a few nice bits on it. Quite a few bits missing but what’s there looks pretty clean. I think it’s had a resto started and then for some reason it’s made it’s way over here to the UK minus the parts, which are probably at the back of a garage somewhere over in the USA.

I’ve managed to source quite a few of the parts already so got a set of exhaust pipes side panels etc on the way over.

First post and also first cry for help. I have been given a pair of carbs by the seller. They are stamped CL77A and are Keihin 26s. From a quick look over them the tops are different and only one float bowl has a drain. I’m guessing they shouldn’t be like this. Can anyone help with the correct info for my bike. The engine no is CL77E-1026053 and the frame CL77-1026050 which makes it a “fill in the blank” year model.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jon

Moto-reve
honda305.com Member

Photos

Post by Moto-reve » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:40 am

PS I know photos would help, I’m struggling to upload them at the minute for some reason

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Photos

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:53 am

I'd say that is a 1966 issue.
Both carb bowls came with the vent. ..............lm

Moto-reve wrote:PS I know photos would help, I’m struggling to upload them at the minute for some reason

DJM
honda305.com Member

CL77 carbs.

Post by DJM » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:54 pm

The tops should be different as they are left and right handed, cable positions are offset in different directions from centre, otherwise they are the same.

I think ALL CL77 carbs would have had the drain screws but it's a small detail.

Up until a few weeks ago I had a spare one but passed it on to another needy CL owner, I may have spare WITHOUT the drain screw though which would at least give you a matching pair, if you're that bothered. You can't see the drain crew on the LH carb anyway unless you get down on your knees to look under the RH carb!

You'll probably have bigger issues than that to sort out before you get the bike done,

Good Luck,

DJM

Moto-reve
honda305.com Member

Project photos.

Post by Moto-reve » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:05 am

Thanks for the help guys,
Still struggling to upload images so I've tried to upload them to a website domain i own. You should get an idea of the task at hand. Will update the photos when i get more involved with the website.

Looks like DJM is a Chezzy lad like me.

https://www.moto-reve.com

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:02 pm

Welcome to the weird carb caps club. Oh yeah, and to the forum . . .

Looks to me like you've got one of the same caps I have a pair of; the one without the little tower on top. The adjuster on the top of that carb (the brass bit) was missing from both of mine and from experience I'd offer this warning; don't lose that adjuster. If it's what I think it is, it's a non-standard thread size and frankly, it'll be impossible to replace. I've had to drill and tap my own holes in my carb caps and fill in the original holes because I couldn't see any other option. The adjuster on the other carb looks pretty standard, but again, the one on the cap without the tower looks to me to be unobtanium. But you've got one, so that's good.

Like you, I don't have any history of my bike, so I have no idea when/why the caps were swapped. Who knows what POs get up to and why. Given your location (i.e. not in the 'states) there are some parts you're going to find very hard to source over here and as I'm finding, correct carb caps is one of them. Float bowls come up on eBay from time-to-time but if I recall correctly, they weren't sold as separate parts; they always came as part of the carb assembly. That makes the bowls by themselves that bit harder to find.

Unless you want to spend quite a lot of money on a used set of carbs for the sake of correctness, you may find yourself in the same situation as I did - so long as they work, live with them and keep your eye out for the bits you need at bike shows or eBay from time-to-time. That way, you can put the money you save towards the really important parts you may find you need to get the bike running properly - the primary drive chain being one of those things.

Cheers

Moto-reve
honda305.com Member

Post by Moto-reve » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi Mr Chauffeur the carbs were a bit of a sweetener when I got the bike as there was not any on when it got imported. They are correctly stamped CL77, just a shame they are a bit of a mishmash. The previous title was registered to Gypsie Vintage Cycle in Sturgis. Some of the guys in the USA are probably aware of this place as they hold a big bike event there. I’ve had a look online and I think the owner is getting of an age to retire and wanting to sell up. I’m guessing that the bike was taken apart to be restored and maybe got sold on minus all the parts it’s missing as the rest of what’s on there is quite clean and it’s only got 4000ish miles on the speedo. Either that or it was an absolute wreck and all the good bits have been sourced and put on it ready to start a resto ha ha.

As above info from LM it’s likely a 66 model. Would this have 8 or 6 hole fender and what rear light bracket would be correct? The one with the band across or missing. Many thanks,

Jon

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home