□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL72 Swingarm Script Meaning in English

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:50 pm

So yeah - as you'll have seen in the eBay ad, it's the '77 I was referring to . . .

. . . I found reference to it on what I assume is an earlier '77 fiche page (CMS have two listings for the CL77) and it shows up on the swingarm diagram as something called a Registered Number Plate with part number 80501-273-000. Since it also shows up under that part number on the '72 fiche, and the parts in that assembly are all the same, I assume Honda just duplicated the page. What you'll have a better handle on than me is whether the image the sticker was taken from is legit.

My guess is that it may well have been on a very early manufacturing run/low frame number bike immediately prior to cessation of the sticker's printing/application. Having said that, since Honda used English on most of the stickers applied to bikes sold overseas, the other possibility is that it was a feature of Japan-only bikes, bearing in mind the lack of any other language text . . .

. . . although looking very closely at the example in the eBay ad, the original sticker is for a '72. The repro has had the 2 changed to a 7, so it could be there never was a sticker for the '77.

I guess the seller might know . . .

Cataztara
honda305.com Member

Post by Cataztara » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 am

Thank you for your advice

taberwald
honda305.com Member

Swingarm Label

Post by taberwald » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi,

Here is the translation of the swingarm label:

Line one: "A low displacement car".
Line two: "The Department of Transport" - "The Model Authorization Number 461".
Line three: "Dream Super Sport CL72 type".

A few years ago I had a few labels for my CL72 reproduced.

Hope this helps.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home