Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

65 CL77 What to do?????

gbc
honda305.com Member

65 CL77 What to do?????

Post by gbc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:23 pm

I brought this home a couple of days ago. Showed up on Ebay, the price was right and it was in the next State over. I already have a 67 CL77 in my small herd that I restored a few months back and really enjoy, but it is like going to the dog pound, you want to bring them all home.

Now for the bad, no title. I broke my first rule in buying a vintage bike, it must have a title. Here in Virginia the process is not expensive but involves a lot of paperwork and is quite time consuming. I have already started the initial process. Next of course, the motor is locked up. Inspection with the camera show rust in the left cylinder, not the worst I have ever seen but not great. It will also not shift. It is in the corner of the garage with PB Blaster and Mystery Oil in the cylinders currently. Finally it is showing fairly high mileage in my opinion, 27K on the odometer.

Now for the good. The bike is complete to include a perfect front fender and brace. (My 67 is begging for that to painted and installed replacing the jury rigged one I put together during the restoration.) Preliminary inspection shows the carbs are in very good condition and with a good cleaning and gaskets, completely reusable. The tank, other than some crud on the bottom which is cleanable, is like new. No bondo or dents. Wiring (other than the coils being updated) is stock and apparently there was an issue with the hot wire to the coils since the wire is burned.

I know this bike can be brought back with a motor rebuild and cosmetic reconstruction, but I am not sure I want to tackle another one with my 67 already done. I am going to wait for the title process to go through and decide when I have a valid title in hand. I very well may past it on to someone who wants to go in depth for a full restoration. I will have to admit I have been pricing liners, pistons, and rings though.
Attachments
DSC04091.JPG
DSC04091.JPG (151.43 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
DSC04087.JPG
DSC04087.JPG (66.32 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
DSC04089.JPG
DSC04089.JPG (168.58 KiB) Viewed 1417 times

gbc
honda305.com Member

Re: 65 CL77 What to do?????

Post by gbc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:11 pm

Well I decided on a course of action, I went all in. Bought another free motor with some compression and shifts great. Either way something will be rebuildable. May take awhile but it is going to come back.....
DSC04120.JPG
DSC04120.JPG (44.59 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home