Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

ignition switch

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

ignition switch

Post by rustywrench » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:56 pm

With the aid of an ohm meter I have three switches that do not show continuity where they are supposed to.
Question: is the switch from Thailand worth the $150 and the long ship time? Thanx, Rusty

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: ignition switch

Post by Tim Allman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:03 pm

I've revived them before and since you have three you may have a selection of parts to make a good one.

The switch is just crimped in three spots and with a bit of care can be opened up. Be careful of the black back plate with the terminals. It's made of Bakelite which is somewhat brittle. Also, there are springs inside so take care not to lose them.

The terminal posts are moulded into the Bakelite and should be just flush with the inside surface. It seems that the main problem is the dirt and the wear. That surface can be revived by abrading it with very fine sandpaper on a flat surface like a saw table. Take off as little as possible but all of the inside contacts should be shiny.

I've never had to repair or replace the brass coloured contacts that slide over the back plate even they show some wear. I like to install them with grease that is intended for electrical contacts although I don't think it was used at the factory.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:51 pm

Thanks Tim, I did use the best of the three and got current to the ignition and lights so far but the key comes out even in the on position. At least I can get this thing to fire off. Eventually I will look for a NOS switch when I get to the cosmetic part of this project. I just don't see these switches doing the job properly. Thanks again, rusty

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:14 am

Alas the key cylinders do wear. Perhaps a locksmith might be able to help you.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home