Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Speedometer repair

RetroBiker
honda305.com Member

CL77 Speedometer repair

Post by RetroBiker » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:53 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a 1967 CL77 which had a speedometer which was not working. I found that the cable was broken and replaced that, but as I feared it was the speedo itself which is malfunctioning. When putting the new cable into the speedo housing and gently turning the cable, I found that the mechanism was completely seized and did not move at all. The needle was pointing to the 6 o'clock position (no man's land), so I decided to disassemble the speedo to determine if it could be repaired.

Once fully disassembled I got the mechanism (cable, worm gears, distance counter) to move, but noted that the hair spring has broken away from its mooring post, thus the needle will not return to 0 MPH when decelerating.

I have the following questions for this well-informed group of fellow collectors and riders;
1) What can I use to thoroughly clean the internal mechanism that won't damage the counters dials, magnet, etc.? Carb cleaner ...?
2) What can I use to clean the speedo dial face and counter dials? Highly diluted Dawn dish soap?
3)What can I use to reattach the hair spring to its stationary post? E-6000 or J-B Weld adhesives?
4) Has anyone ever successfully repaired or replaced a hair spring in a speedo. or am I trying the impossible? I know I should probably get another one, I hate to consider it a total loss as these speedos are becoming more difficult to find and I want to get it back into running condition if possible.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions you may have.

Jerry

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Speedometer repair

Post by deuce_7 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:41 pm

An option is to have your original CL77 speedometer rebuilt by a professional shop.

I was in a similar situation and I wasn't sure I could fix the CL77 speedo myself. I sent the instrument to Seattle Speedometer; they did a great job, even making small and delicate parts when pieces were broken and/or unobtainable. Expertly calibrated, too.

They also can refinish dial faces with detailed silk screening techniques to match the original.

Regret I can't answer your questions since I didn't open the instrument myself.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

RetroBiker
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Speedometer repair

Post by RetroBiker » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:40 pm

Thanks for your referral to Seattle Speedometer as I was unaware this was an option.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home