Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kick starter slips occassionally

jjjjjj
honda305.com Member

Kick starter slips occassionally

Post by jjjjjj » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:49 am

I have a 1969 CA 77 Dream -new to me. The kick starter lever works well but every few kicks it slips down with little resistance and does not turn over/engage the engine. There is no noise associated with these events and the splines on the pawl look fine. Any thoughts? Thanks! Jeff

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Kick starter slips occassionally

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:20 am

Inside the gears is a Kick Starter Pawl which wears and I'd say that's what ya have.
Not uncommon. ...........lm

jjjjjj wrote:I have a 1969 CA 77 Dream -new to me. The kick starter lever works well but every few kicks it slips down with little resistance and does not turn over/engage the engine. There is no noise associated with these events and the splines on the pawl look fine. Any thoughts? Thanks! Jeff

pwilke1
honda305.com Member

Post by pwilke1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:27 pm

Try tightening the screw on the bottom of the kick lever. This is inside the side case but can be accessed though the view hole under the rubber cap. I had the same issue a few months back and this solved the problem.

-Patrick

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:34 pm

???????????????????????
Screw for kick starter inside?. ...........lm

pwilke1 wrote:Try tightening the screw on the bottom of the kick lever. This is inside the side case but can be accessed though the view hole under the rubber cap. I had the same issue a few months back and this solved the problem.

-Patrick

nc_rider
honda305.com Member

Post by nc_rider » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:31 am

loud mouse... to replace that worn pawl (28255-250-020 ?) do you have to split the cases?

And does worn bushings (at either end of the kick starter spindle) add to this issue? (and I'm assuming you have to split the cases to replace them.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:48 am

Ya will need to split the cases in either case.
The bushing which wears is the 14mm brass one and the area where the 12 rollers contact the shaft is where the shaft wears.
I haven't seen the end bushings wear the shaft but do see the end one where the pawl rubs wear from the contact with the pawl and need replacing. ..................lm

nc_rider wrote:loud mouse... to replace that worn pawl (28255-250-020 ?) do you have to split the cases?

And does worn bushings (at either end of the kick starter spindle) add to this issue? (and I'm assuming you have to split the cases to replace them.

nc_rider
honda305.com Member

Post by nc_rider » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 am

Are the affected parts (pawl, bushings, spindle) available from somewhere?
It also looks like the CA shares these parts with the CB and possibly the CL??

and.. it looks like there's a small spring and pin that pushes the pawl out? If it's gummed up (or the spring weak) would it prevent the pawl from engaging?

also, it looks like that 14mm bushing is what first gear spins on. Is there anyone making a "new and improved" version to better handle wear?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home