□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new rebuild motor broke

yellow60
honda305.com Member

Post by yellow60 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Sascha It has to be that yesterday I was able to start and drive the bike it ran perfect except when I pulled the clutch in it also disengaged the kick start. I will take a look a that clutch.

mike1969
honda305.com Member

broken motor

Post by mike1969 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:31 pm

From what you are describing it sounds like Sascha is right.The pre -load on your kick starter is not set right. I had the same problem with mine.
Take the kick start side cover off and wind the starter so that the spring gets smaller. I don't remember the number of turns to pre -load but i'm sure someone here can answer that.

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Re: broken motor

Post by Sascha » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 pm

It depends on how unwound the spring is to know how many times he needs to turn it.
Its more about the tension in the spring (it needs to return) so the the spring needs to encourange that return to around the 10:00-11:00 position of the kick as it indexes to the motor... Isnt that right LM?! Looks like I learned a thing or two. ;)

-Sascha
mike1969 wrote:From what you are describing it sounds like Sascha is right.The pre -load on your kick starter is not set right. I had the same problem with mine.
Take the kick start side cover off and wind the starter so that the spring gets smaller. I don't remember the number of turns to pre -load but i'm sure someone here can answer that.

DONZIE
honda305.com Member

Post by DONZIE » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Your post is a bit conffusing to me. Are you saying the motor now starts & runs ok.... if so for how long. After rebuild on start up have you checked oil pressure / flow to top end.

yellow60
honda305.com Member

Post by yellow60 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:53 pm

I spent the day out in the garage working on the bike and what I know is that the bike starts runs and drives fine for a 15 mile ride. What is does that I cant figure out and I have tried to figure out today is if the bike is on the stand and you kick the motor over it will start and run fine. If you pull the clutch in and try to kick it over the kick start fall freely all the way down without engaging the pistons. If I put the bike in neutral and kick the bike over the rear wheel does not spin with or without the clutch pulled in (this is normal). If I put it in gear and pull the clutch in the pistons do not go up and down but the back wheel will turn as I kick the kick start. Even if I place my foot on the back wheel to try and stop it the still spends.

I have tried your recommendations with the wind on the kick stated and even took apart a bike that functions normal and still can not figure this out.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks Adam

lrutt
honda305.com Member

Post by lrutt » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 am

yellow60 wrote:I spent the day out in the garage working on the bike and what I know is that the bike starts runs and drives fine for a 15 mile ride. What is does that I cant figure out and I have tried to figure out today is if the bike is on the stand and you kick the motor over it will start and run fine. If you pull the clutch in and try to kick it over the kick start fall freely all the way down without engaging the pistons. If I put the bike in neutral and kick the bike over the rear wheel does not spin with or without the clutch pulled in (this is normal). If I put it in gear and pull the clutch in the pistons do not go up and down but the back wheel will turn as I kick the kick start. Even if I place my foot on the back wheel to try and stop it the still spends.

I have tried your recommendations with the wind on the kick stated and even took apart a bike that functions normal and still can not figure this out.

Thanks Adam
What you describe all sounds normal. The issue with kicking it and the rear wheel turning is just due to clutch drag which again is not uncommon at all with these bikes.

So I take it the bike runs fine when you drive it around, and shifts properly, clutch working ok?

bonjour
honda305.com Member

Post by bonjour » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:41 am

yellow60 wrote:I spent the day out in the garage working on the bike and what I know is that the bike starts runs and drives fine for a 15 mile ride. What is does that I cant figure out and I have tried to figure out today is if the bike is on the stand and you kick the motor over it will start and run fine. If you pull the clutch in and try to kick it over the kick start fall freely all the way down without engaging the pistons. If I put the bike in neutral and kick the bike over the rear wheel does not spin with or without the clutch pulled in (this is normal). If I put it in gear and pull the clutch in the pistons do not go up and down but the back wheel will turn as I kick the kick start. Even if I place my foot on the back wheel to try and stop it the still spends.

Thanks Adam
I also noticed that recently on my CB77. Same 'problem'

I thought it was somekind of ingenious mechanical way for safety, you can only start in neutral. Just like modern day bike's. Only modern day bikes use an electronic switch for that. *yawn*
Our real bikes use mechanical wonders.

I didn't really see it as a problem, don't know if it correct or not, but I kinda liked it anyway. :)
I don't bother it. I think it's the way Mr. Honda wanted it. But I really don't know if it correct...
I think it is, because it didn't rattle or maked other funny noices. Put it in neutral and everything worked fine. So... I don't see a problem.
'Of course I've already taken a very modest position on the monetary system, I do take the position that we should just end the Fed.' - Ron Paul

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home