Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Need assistance valuing a C77 dream

conbs
honda305.com Member

Price

Post by conbs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I surely didn't mean to discourage anyone with my prior post. In fact, I encourage everyone who thinks about it to dig in and resurrect their bike and others they find. By my post I only meant to point out that the endeavor won't make you rich. It can give you a lot of hours of "therapy" getting your bike running well and looking good. And when you ride it, that can provide a perma-grin like few things can. Bill Silver says, riding a Dream is like riding a cloud. It is a bit of a unique experience, that's for sure. They are not fast, though they will get you from stop light to stop light with a little fun.

It is probably pretty normal to want to know what a bike is worth. but, that is probably not the reason to own a Dream. I do cringe a little every time I see another one parted out on Ebay, but I guess that is part of the process. The point is, the do have a "salvage" value when parted out. Beyond that, non-cash factors play a role.

A while back, I traded some parts for a non running, locked up Dream that is missing a number of parts. No cash, but I still scratch my head about why I thought a project with that much need was a good idea. I did make a friend along the way and he has a project Dream that is close to being finished and will be very nice when done. I enjoy helping him. And, I will likely resurrect the project I got from him slowly and not think about parting it out. It is my therapy and I love these old bikes. I hope that will be worth it to me, though it may be a close call because the cash of buying parts will play an increasingly unjustifiable role.

When I studied Economics in college, I remember being taught about "psychic income". Its not money you make by becoming a "psychic". It is "value" you receive from something that is not cash. Therapy, perma-grin, telling others about your bike (you get lots of questions) and even helping on this site; its all psychic income to me. That makes owning a Dream worthwhile. Though my pocketbook (and probably my wife) may never be satisfied with the experience, I am enough to own 3 Dreams (and always somehow looking for another).

bbap
honda305.com Member

Post by bbap » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 am

Are you sure you need a title on the bike of that age? In ny titles began in 1973 I believe, so all you need is a transferable registration which is pretty easy to obtain. Lots of resources on the web to show you how in your state. Steve
CA78 - 3111XX - Frame
CA77E - 3161XX - Engine

miceli
honda305.com Member

Post by miceli » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:25 pm

picture of the bike I am trying to value.. Thank you again to all of you who have shared advice.
Attachments
dom 009.jpg

pknopp
honda305.com Member

Post by pknopp » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:58 pm

It looks like a saveable bike. I'll bet the paint will come around pretty nice and the chrome is actually pretty good.

The sidecovers are pretty easy to find but not so much the exhaust. They do make new pipes that look far better than the ones on there.

I suppose we all base our decisions on what our experiences are. I bought mine running, complete with a title for $1100.

miceli
honda305.com Member

Post by miceli » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Thank you Pknopp

piperjak
honda305.com Member

Post by piperjak » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 pm

Thats a bummer when there is no title.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home