□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

AGM battery alternative for early slim battery Dreams

hotrodhendrix
honda305.com Member

Post by hotrodhendrix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:41 am

I use a 490-2506 APS lithium ion battery. Slightly modified the upper bracket so that you can use the power indicator on the bike.

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 pm

I just installed the YTX7L (exactly the same as the one pictured in the start of this thread) in my 63 CA78 that requires the JB-2 and used all the original hardware. It holds the air cleaner cover in place fine. I did make make a couple of tabs off the battery posts that drop down on the sides to mimic the original battery posts. The hot side I angled back for clearance from the hold down. I also put thin piece of rubber on top of the battery and in front of the hot terminal. The battery is shorter than the original but is held tightly and won't move.
Thought I'd update, that was 2012. The last few months I'd had an initial starting problem, found that it kick starts fine, but the electric start drops the voltage and prevents a good spark. After it warmed up it would start fine. I thought maybe the cold weather was a contributing issue, but no dice. It is now to the point it won't fire every time after it's been run. Time for a new battery. I'm looking at a couple slightly larger (12 AH) that will still fit in the box, although the post locations are different. Still a 5 year life isn't too bad.
63 CA78

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 am

OldStan wrote: Still a 5 year life isn't too bad.
Glad it worked out for you

HT

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home