□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Ignition Switch Dissection

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:05 am

Yes, I thought about the grease bit but haven't tried it yet; maybe it would pack the springs down enough to get the barrel back in, and then I could use a heat gun to heat it up so the grease melts away...hmmm....

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:13 am

I ended up prying the 2 rectangular caps off the lock outer which hold the springs in.

That way you can play with different combinations of tumblers and the key you have to make it fit,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_O5VW7A0Uw

I got my key to work, but didn't want to stay in on it's own.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:36 am

Rectangular caps?? Post a pic...I didn't come across any rectangular caps...(??)
We are talking about a Dream ignition switch here, right...?

Funny video, too...;)

FYI, I also think I went too far in my dissection of my switch...after looking at it some more yesterday, I realized the reason it probably wasn't turning was because of the rusted-in ball bearings...meaning I probably/might have been able to get the thing to turn just by loosening up those bearings...but that ship has sailed; it's guts are all over the table now, and I need to find a way to put Humpty Dumpty back together again...

So, Dear Reader, if YOU are thinking about taking apart your switch because it won't turn, stop after you take out the round black bakelite insert- do not take out the center barrel and key - and make sure your bearings are free before you go any further...beyond that, it could get tricky.

And I'll let you know what I find about rebuilding switches...Somebody built it; so it must be do-able...

Brewsky, how do you 'play' with the barrels to make it fit different keys...?

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:11 am

Here are the "caps"
Once you remove them, the springs and pins will come out the top
Imageswitch1 by bruce leedy, on Flickr

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:24 am

Ohhh, I see! :))

I kind of poked at those, but they didn't really budge/do anything so I thought they were a part of the barrel casing...how hard is it to get them out? And how do you/would you tweak the barrels to fit, say, any key?

My key is IN the barrel, btw; I left it there when I took the switch apart. Were you able to replace those caps without tearing them up too bad?

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:05 am

The caps are pretty soft metal, and you have to dig (pry) them out.

They were peened in during assembly, so you just have to re-shape them and peen them back in again once you figure out the correct pin order.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:21 am

And that correct pin order is determined by What, exactly...? How do you know the key works after you play with the tumblers...?

And as an aside, you think this switch would work...? Might need some creative wiring, but it IS four positions...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-BOAT-AC ... SwI-BWH93z

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home