Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

new rebuild motor broke

yellow60
honda305.com Member

new rebuild motor broke

Post by yellow60 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:05 pm

I just finished a motor rebuild that was rusted up. It was off a 1965 305 dream you guys have helped with handful of question during the process. I crossed all my T's and dotted my I's, gave it a kick she fired right up. I couldn't believe it. So I let it run for a minute shut it down and pulled it outside of the garage to let it warm up for a while and take it for a spin. When I kicked it over the second time outside it fired up put the kick start felt funny. I shut it down real quick and noticed that the kick start was not engaging and if I put it in gear and try to push start it it does not turn the motor over.

I know its bad but what have I broke. Although the pistons were seized in rust the timing chain rocker and gear box all appeared to be rust free. I was getting worried that my project was nearing the end.
Sounds like I may get to start over.

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

broken motor

Post by bikedoctor99 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 pm

man I HATE it when that s... happens!! makes me want to jump up and down screaming til I collapse---any way that's too bad. I'm not at all familiar with the right side cover of the Dream, but there must be some kind of counter wound spring mechanism to keep the starter pawl in place, and I don't know if it is possible for the pawl to pop out of position and jam against the case and start gear. hopefully some one with Dream exprience will be able to give a correct daignosis that won't require the splitting of the case remedy. (I felt so bad when I read your post that I immediately started to write with out knowing what I was talking about).

yellow60
honda305.com Member

Post by yellow60 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:19 am

All is not lost I have another seized motor and all these new parts I just put on my now broke motor.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

kick start

Post by rustywrench » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:15 pm

I did not see from your previous posts whether you split the cases on your rebuild or not. My gut feeling here is a return spring or a pawl not engaging. More detail is needed to determine from out here so let's look at the return spring for breakage and the yoke and shaft for spline damage. If that's OK, then you may be in for a case splitting. I know that's not what you wanted to read but at least you have a spare to salvage parts from. Good luck,,,,,,Rusty

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Re: new rebuild motor broke

Post by davomoto » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:27 pm

[and if I put it in gear and try to push start it it does not turn the motor over.

Does then engine not turn over like it is siezed, or does it just not engage anything? Start by removing the right sidecover, and make sure all is correct in there. Could be a stuck or misadjusted clutch.

Davo
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

yellow60
honda305.com Member

Post by yellow60 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 am

I am so confused. I took off the right side cover in the process of pulling the motor out to work on it and after loosing the screws I thought I would check the kick start again and it worked. What the heck.
I can not get it to reproduce the problem again.

If it was a problem with the clutch the kick start would still engage would it not? My plan it to put it back together and see if it does it again. I'll post more if I figure it out.

Sascha
honda305.com Member

Post by Sascha » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Do you have the spring loaded the correct way?
It wouldnt engage if its not loaded the correct way, as when you kick it, you are simply going to be adding the first bit of load to the spring... That would be my guess. Dont ask why I know that. :/
Im sure LM remembers our phone conversation when i said, The damn Kick doesnt engage now... Geez! He replied with: Did you turn it the correct way to load the spring before putting it back in?
I obviously replied with no. ;)

-Sascha
yellow60 wrote:I am so confused. I took off the right side cover in the process of pulling the motor out to work on it and after loosing the screws I thought I would check the kick start again and it worked. What the heck.
I can not get it to reproduce the problem again.

If it was a problem with the clutch the kick start would still engage would it not? My plan it to put it back together and see if it does it again. I'll post more if I figure it out.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home