□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Wheel size questions

Kawastoney
honda305.com Member

Post by Kawastoney » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:56 am

There is a lot of good information in this thread about the difficulties of rebuilding motorcycle wheels. There were a few things I misunderstood when I first read through. With hindsight I now understand a lot more and would like to clarify for the next reader.

185 x 16 is the correct size for C72 and for some or all C77. But the rims you can buy on ebay are not drilled at the correct angle to fit C72 or C77. It apears that 2.15 x 16 ebay rims might be drilled at the right angle (and the extra width possibly does not matter?).

Spoke angle is not the angle on the end of the spoke (idiot me), but the angle from the rim tangent point down the spoke as laced. The spoke angle gets sharper as the hub size increases. The rims absolutely must be drilled at the correct angle or the wheel will not be safe.

The C72 has slightly different size hubs on front and rear. Therefore the rims have slightly different spoke angles (and different part numbers). The pair of rims on ebay have the same, but wrong, spoke angles (I think they may be correct for a C95).

Now to find out if expensive, and wrong, rims can be redrilled.

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:00 pm

I've got our wheels disassembled and I've polished the hubs and brake panels and I'm going to order a set of SS spokes & nipples from Classic Honda Restoration (I believe those are Buchanan's spokes). The issue I'm having is the rims are now the ugliest part of the whole bike--well, it's actually a tie with the header pipes. I'm looking into rechroming services and am about to get bids to do the rims, headers and the front fender "bumper"decoration we found. I'm afraid of the costs... Ohio Cycle has NOS Front and Rear wheel rims (listed separately/different part numbers...) for $150 each. If the chroming estimates come in too high, I may just have to snap up a set.
Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

Mucci
honda305.com Member

Post by Mucci » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Sorry to revive a dusty thread but has anyone used rims off of MikeXS with success? They have a few different 16" 36 hole variants.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home