Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

strange noises

dreaming56
honda305.com Member

strange noises

Post by dreaming56 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:46 am

Good Day, Got my dream on the road and it runs really good, BUT I have a noise that seems to come from the front of the engine. It comes on when the bike is accelerating and deceleration, but you can't hear it when it is idilling. Would like to know if this sound is normal or if it could be a bearing somewhere. It seems to be getting louder, I would hate to cease the motor, but I don't want take the motor out and find nothing wrong. If anyone had this same problem or know what it is I would really appreciate it.
Thanks Stan,

Cheburashka
honda305.com Member

Need more detail

Post by Cheburashka » Tue May 10, 2011 1:41 pm

What kind of noise is it? Rattling? Clatter? Whistling? Clunking? Does it seem to be related to when the engine is firing? If you can, try to locate where it comes from. I use a piece of plastic tubing with a 1/2" diameter. One end held up to the ear and the other moved around to find the source of the noise.

Another thing--when is the last time the valves and timing chain were adjusted?

dreaming56
honda305.com Member

Post by dreaming56 » Thu May 12, 2011 1:21 pm

It's the weirdest sound, almost like a grinding or like a gear meshing I have a Yamaha Venture and they have a very noisy trany and it sorta sounds like that. They say thats normal for them and was wondering if dreams are known for that noise also. I did the top end of the engine incuding valves and pistons. I guess I'll keep riding it and see what happens.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home