honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Torquing heads with the motor in the bike.

black55tbird
honda305.com Member

Torquing heads with the motor in the bike.

Post by black55tbird » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:01 pm

I have a heavy oil leak at the head gasket after rebuilding the top end on my CA77 and the motor is in the bike already. Is there an easy way to get to the head cap nuts with out totally removing the engine? I guess I got a little optimistic and put the side cover and chain on as well as hooking everything up to run.

I am thinking I can tip it forward, but is there a suggested procedure?

black55tbird
honda305.com Member

Here's the before and after photo's

Post by black55tbird » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:19 pm

So here is the bike with the leaky head and leaky gas petcock... It's not quite done because of those issues and a little wiring for the additional LED lights etc. If I could just figure out how to get to the head without dropping the motor! I can't wait to see how it runs!
Attachments
Honda restored.png
Honda restored.png (149.06 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Honda before.png
Honda before.png (143.31 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

conbs
honda305.com Member

Head nuts

Post by conbs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:03 pm

I have never tried this but, I think there are several challenges. The first is that there is a gusset in the frame right in front of the carb. I think the carb will hit up against it before you can get enough tilt to get at those top nuts. You could remove the carb but, to me that is the biggest pain of all in working on a Dream. And you will have removed essentially everything needed to drop the motor. All that will be left are two rear mount bolts. I am not sure if you could leave the top ones (even they will have to be loosened) because I think you will get interference at the frame as the bottom of the motor swings back.

You might be able to "drop" the motor enough to get at those nuts. I haven't tried this but you will at least need to remove all the engine mount bolts, the exhaust and the intake tube. The rider pegs may have to come off, too. I think you could leave the carb/cable mounted and use a floor jack to drop the engine just enough to get at the top nuts with a torque wrench. Keeping it stabilized will be a pain but, if you had a friend to help you could get this done in a fairly short time. The torque spec on the nuts is pretty low so, it is doable

Either way it seems to me you will not save a lot. You will have to remove essentially everything except two rear-mount bolts (one on each side) if you try tilting the motor. And you will be fighting the front fender at some point. "Dropping" the motor just a little would at least save you taking the carb off though you will have to take it apart at the slide. You would also want to keep an eye on all your wiring. I think there is enough slack but, am not sure.

Best wishes and let us know how this works out.
Last edited by conbs on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black55tbird
honda305.com Member

Post by black55tbird » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks for your input! I know I saw somewhere on the forum where someone suggested just tilting the motor forward, but I can see what you mean if you need to remove the carb etc. I will just drop the motor.
Thanks again.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home