Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Info needed please .. HELP !

mikebike11y
honda305.com Member

Info needed please .. HELP !

Post by mikebike11y » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:14 am

HELP ! .. I recently purchased this 1965 CA77 with sidecar from a gentleman from Phoenix Az. He acquired it from a someone in Florida in 2004 ? .. Might any of you have any history of this rig ? .. Story goes that a previous owner, maybe the original owner from the 60s, was an engineer and he designed / built this all metal sidecar. Thanks for any help as it is very much appreciated.

Mike

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:48 am

Mike

Great outfit. Sorry I cannot help with history or details but someone will come up with something soon....

Did the dog come with it? He looks to be at home....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

mikebike11y
honda305.com Member

Post by mikebike11y » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:56 am

G-Man

The "dog " is the actual owner of the rig .. Her name is Sally and is now known as " Sidecar Sally " around here .. She lets me chauffeur her around all I want and loves to get out in the wind .. I'm pimping the rig out with whitewalls this weekend hoping the new tires will improve the ride .. The tires it came with seem to be the original brand from the 60s

Mike

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:47 am

Mike

Great story. I think that the suspension on the bike may be an issue but I don't think there are many options unless you do something bespoke.

The bike looks to be in really good condition.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

peter4821
honda305.com Member

Post by peter4821 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:34 pm

home made for sure. Frame / mount brackets out of square stock. Put a square side hack front tire on it . You will see it rides and handles much better. Keep an eye on the frame for cracking. Big load on a bike not made for it!

lrutt
honda305.com Member

Post by lrutt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:06 pm

wow, even has a dream front fender on the hack. It will force a LOT of wear on the front and rear suspensions bushings etc. and I'd have to think the braking would be horrendous. For the occasional weekend jaunt you would be ok but I would not want to rack up a couple thousand miles a year on it.

Really clean rig for sure.

mikebike11y
honda305.com Member

Post by mikebike11y » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:57 pm

Thank you G-Man peter4821 Irutt for your input,

A little more history here: I'm the fourth owner, and I have contacted the second owner and he confirmed the story that the original owner was an engineer, and he designed and built this all metal sidecar. I asked more questions (by email) and the second owner wanted no more communication.

The sidecar has suspension and a shock under there. I took the rig by a friends today, who is a fabricator/welder extraordinaire, and we both examined the design and fabrication and found it to be quite sound, and the frame mounting point also sound. I would have expected to have found some scabbed on welds for patches/repairs but found none. I believe the design has proven itself worthiness from the test of time and milage it's been through, but it will be monitored. The front bracket (square) goes through another square tubing, attached to the front of the rig, and this provides adjustment for toe-in or out. Quite simple.

The original mileage is claimed to be 12,000 and this rig could be 49 years old. It has held up very well, just wish I could find the builder to get all the details. Irutt you mentioned riding it no more than a couple of thousand miles a year, I've got almost one thousand miles in the last six weeks. Sally and I are having fun. The old tires were so stiff and after putting on the Cokers this last weekend, and a scooter whitewall on the sidecar (larger than the original), the ride improved 138% ! Unbelievable difference and I'm quite happy with the results.

Brakes ? We don't need no stinking brakes ! The brake shoes had plenty of meat on them, but were glazed over, so they were glass beaded to fresh material. Put the entire wheel in the blaster and shot the brake drums clean too. Yes Yes the bearings were taped and triple taped to keep the glass out. Results ? Rear brake is working GREAT and the front shows a little improvement. Oh well.

Suspension, it is what it is. Keeps me alert for pot holes and low manholes !

Over all condition of the rig/bike is awesome but when I got it home I found it had been neglected. Dirty dirty oil,chain was soooo loose, petcock and float bowl were jellied up with old gas and bike wouldn't run. Notice the spark plug caps. The metal shields are still in place. First thing we use to take off when they were new. Haven't seen any of those in years. It has been repainted but over all a very nice example. I have a few old Hondas, but had never had a desire for a Dream but with that sidecar I fell in love. I need an extra arm to wave at all the waving fans I see on the street. While cornering two hands are needed on the bars.

Thanks for your continued support, Mike

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home