Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Need some help on getting a title.

WvDream
honda305.com Member

Need some help on getting a title.

Post by WvDream » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:37 pm

I bought a Honda 305 Dream that has no title. The guy I bought it from bought it from his friend that had storage units. The bike was abandoned in these storage units several years ago and it has been sitting in the garage of the guy I bought it from for several years too. There is no title and I do not know who the original owner was. I found the numbers on the engine and the numbers on the frame. Now which of these numbers would be used for the VIN#? The numbers on the engine or the frame? I am going to the DMV to find out what I can about getting a title and I am sure they need a vin# The numbers on the engine are CA77E-1017975 and the numbers on the frame are CA78-1017630. I have heard it is a real pain trying to get a title for a bike that has none and can be expensive.

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 pm

Frame number is the VIN.

HT

WvDream
honda305.com Member

Post by WvDream » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks, that is what I was thinking but was not sure.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Texas - Had mine inspected by the Sheriff - he used the engine number - when the paperwork got to DMV they used he engine number.

WvDream
honda305.com Member

Post by WvDream » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Ok, so maybe I could use either, LOL. The engine # number is much more visible than the frame #, so maybe that is the one that should be used for the VIN# The number on the frame is hard to find and I might never have found it without posting the question on this site.

mike1969
honda305.com Member

title

Post by mike1969 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:50 pm

Unless you can prove that came from a unpaid storage locker you may be opening a big ol' can of worms. The last titled owner of the bike may want it back.

What you would probably need is a sworn statement from the storage company that the bike was indeed given up for unpaid storage fees. After several years that may be a problem.

Once bought a Kawasaki that came from a storage locker and looked into to getting a title for it. After hearing about the problems I would have I decided to use as a parts donor bike.

WvDream
honda305.com Member

Post by WvDream » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 pm

Yes Mike I thought about that too. No I can't prove it came from a unpaid storage locker. I did say that same thing to the guy that I bought it from. I said well what if I try to get a title and during the title search process the original owner says I want that bike back. The guy I bought it from said he could get proof from the guy that had the storage lockers if needed, but I don't trust anyone in todays world. This bike has been sitting in the garage of the guy that I bought it from for several years and who knows how long the guy had it that owned the storage locker and he probably does not still have any written proof. So maybe I will sell it without a title and let someone else worry about getting a title.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home