□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Whitewall tire alternative

stepper
honda305.com Member

Post by stepper » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 pm

brewsky wrote:My porta walls have evidently absorbed some chemicals from the tire rubber and have turned brown on the edges...and NOTHING has been able to clean them so far!

Been thinking about trying to paint them!
The staining looks exactly like what's happened to my Coker's

Jims65CA77
honda305.com Member

Post by Jims65CA77 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:15 am

brewsky wrote:My porta walls have evidently absorbed some chemicals from the tire rubber and have turned brown on the edges...and NOTHING has been able to clean them so far!

Been thinking about trying to paint them!
I was wondering if you wet sanded the whitewalls with some VERY FINE sand paper... That may remove that layer of brown without ruining them. I am thinking something like 1000 grit. OR, maybe you could try some SOS Pads... you remember those steel wool pads with soap in them? That may also remove the brown.
Jim

Now working/riding on my 1965 CA77 Dream...

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:26 am

Wesley's Blech-Wite whitewall cleaner is a good candidate for getting rid of that. Be sure to wipe it off with a white cloth! Regards, Chase

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:10 am

Tried SOS, Brillo, Bleche-white, tide with bleach, oxy-clean, barkeepers friend, comet, ajax , simple green, and LA's Totally Awsome!....no effect

Haven't tried the sandpaper though, but I think the discoloration is soaked in, not just on the surface.

I did see a display at the local Lowes advertising a new paint...Valspar Duramax.. there was a foam rubber kids football painted with it on the counter, and you could squeeze it and the paint just flexed and stayed stuck on....may give that a try after finishing my garage door.

I'm thinking any chemical that would penetrate rubber would probably just seep into the paint also?

Any luck cleaning the Cokers, stepper?
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home