Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

VickyBlue's 66 CA77

VickyBlue
honda305.com Member

VickyBlue's 66 CA77

Post by VickyBlue » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:52 am

I grew up overseas. My first bike was an orange ST50, or Dax, as it most commonly known. Year was 1983. Drove it till I graduated to bigger and faster things. My sister ended up with it, for more years of trouble free ridding. Somehow she ended up losing it to her ex, as part of a divorce settlement back in 96 or so... I never liked the guy, but this took things to a whole different level. By that time I was already working here and there was nothing I could do.

Fast forward to last year, I had a buddy of mine trace the license plate number and he got a hit under a different name. Long story short, I was able to buy it back from inside the chicken coop that was left in 1996 for 300 Euro. My brother took care the restoration for me, we did a nut and bolt job costing a little over E3,000. I rode it again this June, for the first time since 1990. Needles to say it was a feeling I will never forget.

I wanted to take a break from cars and this little Dream kind of fell into my lap August 1st. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I am 100% happy with the way things turned out. I do have the missing covers, the clutch is stuck, has a new battery, it starts, it doesn't smoke, idles with the choke but not with out it. Tires are old, but I already bought a new set. All I know about it is it was titled in OKC April 16th 1966 and PO passed away sometime in 2010. Bike was left in his shed along with some old Buick parts and that's how I ended up getting it. It has been painted before, it is what he could afford and I am not going to argue with it. My plan is to get the clutch issue taken care of, change fluids, check points/timing, gas tank was clean and full of old gas, then ride it... Enjoy :)

[imgImage[/img]

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage

[/imgImage

[imgImage

[/imgImage

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Congratulations on a great find!

To free the clutch: ride it with the clutch pulled in and the rear brake applied, that will usually free them up.

Idle problems: the low speed air circuit, and maybe the pilot jet, are probably plugged. Disassemble carb, soak in lacquer thinner, blast clear. If turning the air screw in and out has no appreciable effect on the low speed running, the circuit is plugged. About 1 turn out is a good starting point.
Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

Jims65CA77
honda305.com Member

Post by Jims65CA77 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:32 am

Nice find! Reminds me of my Dream. My clutch was also sticking and I finally had to take it apart. It isn't really hard, just time consuming. My plates were really STUCK to each other. I cleaned them up and the clutch works fine now. Sometimes IF it sits for a LONG TIME they will stick again, but I just do like Nick said and they free right up. GOOD LUCK!!
Jim

Now working/riding on my 1965 CA77 Dream...

VickyBlue
honda305.com Member

Post by VickyBlue » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 am

We are all moved in to Boise now... Other than a broken front brake lever, the Dream survived the 1500 mile trip strapped inside the 26ft Penske truck. I just finished painting the whole house, LM will be calling you soon about that clutch...

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Nice find!

I notice that you have the mufflers bolted to the swing arm, which moves relative to the frame/engine. Unless you have some kind of flexible link in the pipe something will break.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:51 pm

G-Man wrote:Nice find!

I notice that you have the mufflers bolted to the swing arm, which moves relative to the frame/engine. Unless you have some kind of flexible link in the pipe something will break.

G
Good catch!

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Congratulations, that was a nice find. Not a lot of work needed to make it a fun runner. That front brake cable does need to be re-routed before the left header melts the casing though. It goes into the left fork housing. A quick job.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home