Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Paint Question: Primer?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Paint Question: Primer?

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 am

I noticed when I was stripping my '63 CA77 the swingarm seems to be primed, it looks like the frame is too, but not the front fender or the headlight...I believe I read somewhere the Dreams were not primed when they left the factory; does anybody know anything about this?

I want to use the window of warm weather we have here in Virginia to strip the rest of the paint off and get it ready for paint, and I am probably going to prime the whole thing, but I was curious if anybody knew whether or not they were primed from the factory.

And after a lot of thought I think I'm just going with some Rustoleum Gloss Black instead of getting fancy - any thoughts there...?

mike1969
honda305.com Member

paint

Post by mike1969 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:39 am

The three Dreams I restored had no primer underneath the paint.
I would advise against Rustoleum black. It leaves a gray tinge. Try Duplicolor black, does a much nicer job.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 am

Duly noted; did you use a HVLP gun for the paint? Clearcoat?

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:10 pm

I don't see whether Honda used primer or not as the issue. I used to work for a paint company and we produced a line of self priming paints but these were specially formulated for the purpose and sold in industrial quantities. What's important for us is using what's available properly and for the most part that means using a compatible primer.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:17 am

Well, I'm using Rustoleum Primer-Filler to help even out some of the spots on it - it says it's compatible with pretty much everything out there, besides using $$ two-part paint. This is a resurrection, not necessarily a Restoration, per se...but I do want it to look good. There is a lot of sanding in my future.

It's the clear coat I'm hoping to avoid any problems with - even though I used Rustoleum products congruently on a previous project, I still had problems with it lifting; maybe I just didn't let it set up long enough.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 am

See the pics in my Squish Question entry for a photo of the white primer I scraped off when I stripped the bike...original?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home