Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Start Switch Repair?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Start Switch Repair?

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Has anybody ever taken apart and reassembled the keyed switch on a CA77? I got my newly-ordered key for my switch, but it doesn't want to turn.

I Also have a already disassembled switch that I would like to put back together, but haven't found anything online as yet.

Any ideas?

pemdoc65
honda305.com Member

Post by pemdoc65 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Before you take it apart, make sure that the key is the right style for the year of the bike. Honda reused key codes, and there are different style keys with the same code. Some have skinny heads, some have wider ones. They aren't necessarily interchangeable. I found this out the hard way. Also, you can spray some WD40 into the switch through the key slot. It may just be stuck.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:11 am

I did take mine apart and re assemble, as I had the same problem as you with no key.

I had only limited success, as I can now use a key from another lock, but it doesn't lock the key in in any position.

It's pretty much a Rubik's cube, so if you have the patience, you could eventually get it right.

If you haven't already, you have to pry the caps off the 2 tumbler slots and remove all the pins and springs.

I suppose you could just remove all the tumblers and just use a coin to turn it off and on, as no one but an old Honda enthusiast could even figure out how to use it even with the correct key!

Careful with the bakelite rear as it will break if too much prying force is used to remove it.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:02 am

Yes, I tried hitting it with some WD40 and PB Blaster, but my switch is tighter than a clam at low tide...

I did find this though, right here on the forum:

http://www.honda305.com/forums/1965-ca7 ... 31-10.html

...but the switch I'm going to try to repair is already totally apart - tumblers, springs, Everything...so I will probably experiment with putting that one back together just to see if I can.

I also found this on the 'Bay for $6.50 - a Universal Motorcycle ATV Truck Car Vehicles 6 Wire Ignition Switch + 2 Keys US:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/312086450368

The headlight cowl might need to be drilled out with a step-drill, because the face of the new one is about 6mm wider than the face of the 23mm orignal but I'm thinking this might work. A little bit of fancy wiring, and it should work...

Actually, the more I look at the dimensions, it might just be a direct replacement...the specs say it has a Required Fixing Hole Diameter of 22.5Mm; take off that outer beauty ring and it might just slide right in! Screw the ring back onto the neck, and voila! If so, that would be a helluva lot cheaper than the arm and a leg they want for an OEM, and I have no problem with that...

What do you think?

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:49 pm

The ebay switch looks promising with some wiring mods.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:49 am

That's what I was thinking too...but I'm not up too much on wiring; although after working on a few of these bikes I'm getting there - so if you or anyone else knows how you'd wire that switch into the wiring harness, please let me know!

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:18 am

I just ordered one of the ebay switches myself.

Will work on a proposed wiring connection sketch in the meantime.

I sent the seller a question about the amp rating, although for that price I'm not expecting it to be very high, may need to use a relay or 2?

The other question is whether it will fit in the bucket without interfering with the headlight sealed beam.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home