Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Steering Head Plate Configuration SOLVED

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Steering Head Plate Configuration SOLVED

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the way the steering head on a CA77 goes back together? I'm trying to put mine back on, and something is amiss.

The flat, bent plate that holds the bolts for the handlebar nuts has two nuts on the underside of the plate, closest to the steering arm shaft.

The two Bigger bolts that screw into the top of the forks have little clip retainers, and apparently (according to the manual schematic) screw through the Top of the bent plate (#12 in the diagram) into the top of the forks, and then you reassemble the steering damper...but that can't be right, because the two bigger front bolts would pull down the steering plate in the front - and Yes, I should have taken better pictures when I took it apart. And both the manual and the diagram are no help.

Do those bigger front bolts go into the top of the steering head first, then the plate sits on top of them...? I haven't tried that yet, but I'm thinking about it as I type this...

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:36 am

Well, after a bit of thought -and not wanting spend either the time or the money on a new -old plate, I pulled out my grinder, threw a cutting blade on there, cut the nuts off the plate (so to speak) and Voila'!

The plate fits.

So mark this one SOLVED.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home