Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Throttle Response Problem

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sat May 11, 2019 2:41 pm

I'll answer the question.
You can HEAR it as the engine holds HIGH IDLE then comes down.
Usually the slide is a turn or less higher and tries to be the dominate carb.
To find which carb it is "turn the slide screw of either carb out and if it is the one that was high the problem will be fixed.
If it gets worse that is the one with the side higher than the other and turn the slide screw out a bit until the engine comes to idle correctly. ...............lm

Geoff Hastings wrote:The slide screw stops the slide from closing fully. Set the air screw 1 1/8 turns out. Then adjust the slide screw till the idle is how you want it.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun May 12, 2019 5:54 am

Yes, I get the whole idle adjust procedure - but what am I going for, a nice low potato-potato-potato, or low putter...? That I think I can figure out. What I Don't get is why when I roll on the throttle and put it in gear, it dogs out and won't Go...

Granted, I haven't had time lately to really play with the idle and see if I have it adjusted too low, and therefore when I roll on the throttle and increase the fuel demand from the carb it bogs down - I plan to explore that today...but I Do know the carb is as clean as I can get it. I've cleaned it manually with tons of carb cleaner and an extended stay in an ultrasonic tank, made sure all my passages were clear and blown air through them, and that includes all the inlets and every hole I can see, even the almost-invisible ones in the carb throat itself.

My low-idle circuit is clear, as is the main jet and my needle seat and associated passages...my slide needle is on #3, where the book says it should be...do you think this is mechanical, or fuel-related? I'm hopeful I will discover the answer, but ya'lls advice is invaluable helping me solve this mystery.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun May 12, 2019 6:57 am

I'm not sure where I thought you were tuning a Super Hawk?
My mistake!
Do you have the stock jets and needle in the carb or did yoy get one of the carb kits with new parts.
As you mention the idle you want may be to slow. .............lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Yes, I get the whole idle adjust procedure - but what am I going for, a nice low potato-potato-potato, or low putter...? That I think I can figure out. What I Don't get is why when I roll on the throttle and put it in gear, it dogs out and won't Go...

Granted, I haven't had time lately to really play with the idle and see if I have it adjusted too low, and therefore when I roll on the throttle and increase the fuel demand from the carb it bogs down - I plan to explore that today...but I Do know the carb is as clean as I can get it. I've cleaned it manually with tons of carb cleaner and an extended stay in an ultrasonic tank, made sure all my passages were clear and blown air through them, and that includes all the inlets and every hole I can see, even the almost-invisible ones in the carb throat itself.

My low-idle circuit is clear, as is the main jet and my needle seat and associated passages...my slide needle is on #3, where the book says it should be...do you think this is mechanical, or fuel-related? I'm hopeful I will discover the answer, but ya'lls advice is invaluable helping me solve this mystery.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun May 12, 2019 7:05 am

Hi LM; I Do have a Superhawk head, but that's not the one on the bike..;)

If I recall correctly, I did get one of the carb kits with the new parts, the one with the correct jets in it. I think I still have the old ones (stock??) that came on the bike - I have learned to never throw anything out that I take off these bikes...

Right off the top of my head, I think the jets are Pilot:35, main 20, and....2.5(?) for the idle...? Something like that... I may have the numbers out of order.

You guys getting enough rain down there...?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun May 12, 2019 7:46 am

Were you able to compare the new parts to the stock?
Some DREAM kits have the wrong size jets and the taper of the needle isn't correct.
YES! WE are getting LOTS of rain.
We like it as we are on a well and the more rain the better. .........lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Hi LM; I Do have a Superhawk head, but that's not the one on the bike..;)

If I recall correctly, I did get one of the carb kits with the new parts, the one with the correct jets in it. I think I still have the old ones (stock??) that came on the bike - I have learned to never throw anything out that I take off these bikes...

Right off the top of my head, I think the jets are Pilot:35, main 20, and....2.5(?) for the idle...? Something like that... I may have the numbers out of order.

You guys getting enough rain down there...?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home