Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Restore a 305 Dream 1969

Johnm32073
honda305.com Member

Restore a 305 Dream 1969

Post by Johnm32073 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:31 pm

I am think of Restoring my 305, The only thing I am not good at is the engine. It runs very well, well it did until I tried rebuilding the carburetor (Dumb idea From Me) The rest of the bike I can pretty well do, But before I jump into the water I don't want to sink. Is very hard to dissemble, paint and put back together Paint and polish, i can do and line the tank I did that already Be my 1st motorcycle to take apart.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:04 am

Hi John -

The best way to do it is get a manual, socket set and some open-end wrenches and go for it!

Order a complete gasket and seal set on Ebay; you'll need it.

Its also a good idea to replace ALL the metric engine screws with Allenhead-type screws/bolts. The original JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws are crap, and will more than likely strip out if you're using a regular Philips-head screwdriver. I use a set of VESSEL Megadora JIS screwdrivers exclusively on my Japanese bikes, and I use them ONLY on Japanese motorcycles. Visit Picclick.com or Ebay for a nice set; they're not too expensive, and worth every penny.

Fastenal.com is a good source for the Allenhead screws; Lowes, too, or maybe Home Depot.

This is One of the manuals I use, on Ebay right now for a really good price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283439245392

This is also a good page for free manuals, but you'll have to download them and print them out:

https://scramblercycle.com/pages/literature

Be sure to download the Honda Parts Catalog H/C 37465 too - it shows you how everything is supposed to go together, with their part numbers; its very nice to have.

Also note that the REAR WHEEL AXLE of the CA77 is perfect to remove the generator (the round thing on the side of the bike that the stator magnets go around). Just slide out the axle and screw it in to the hole of the generator until it pops off; then when you put the generator back on, it simply presses into place with the generator bolt. This is good to know.

Also, on the carburetor, the screw CLOSEST to the engine head is the Air/Fuel mixture screw; the screw FARTHEST from the head is the Idle Adjusting Screw. Gently screw them both IN all the way until you feel a 'soft seat', then back each one out about 1 1/4 turns; it takes a bit of playing with, but that should be a good starting point to get the bike dialed in.

Hope this helps!

-John

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:47 am

Do not turn the IDLE/SPEED Screw all the way in then out 11/4 turn.
The engine will REV to HIGH RPM. ....................lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Hi John -

The best way to do it is get a manual, socket set and some open-end wrenches and go for it!

Order a complete gasket and seal set on Ebay; you'll need it.

Its also a good idea to replace ALL the metric engine screws with Allenhead-type screws/bolts. The original JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws are crap, and will more than likely strip out if you're using a regular Philips-head screwdriver. I use a set of VESSEL Megadora JIS screwdrivers exclusively on my Japanese bikes, and I use them ONLY on Japanese motorcycles. Visit Picclick.com or Ebay for a nice set; they're not too expensive, and worth every penny.

Fastenal.com is a good source for the Allenhead screws; Lowes, too, or maybe Home Depot.

This is One of the manuals I use, on Ebay right now for a really good price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283439245392

This is also a good page for free manuals, but you'll have to download them and print them out:

https://scramblercycle.com/pages/literature

Be sure to download the Honda Parts Catalog H/C 37465 too - it shows you how everything is supposed to go together, with their part numbers; its very nice to have.

Also note that the REAR WHEEL AXLE of the CA77 is perfect to remove the generator (the round thing on the side of the bike that the stator magnets go around). Just slide out the axle and screw it in to the hole of the generator until it pops off; then when you put the generator back on, it simply presses into place with the generator bolt. This is good to know.

Also, on the carburetor, the screw CLOSEST to the engine head is the Air/Fuel mixture screw; the screw FARTHEST from the head is the Idle Adjusting Screw. Gently screw them both IN all the way until you feel a 'soft seat', then back each one out about 1 1/4 turns; it takes a bit of playing with, but that should be a good starting point to get the bike dialed in.

Hope this helps!

-John

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:25 am

So what's the proper procedure, Ed?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:32 am

Leave it out far enough to allow the slide to Bottom Out then raise the slide apx. 1/16.
Start engine then Adjust to desired speed. .............lm
Dr. Frankenstein wrote:So what's the proper procedure, Ed?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:35 am

How can you tell when the slide is bottomed out when you can't see it as you're adjusting it?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:06 am

You been working on bikes with SLIDE TYPE CARBS?. ..............lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:How can you tell when the slide is bottomed out when you can't see it as you're adjusting it?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home