Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch Throwout Bearing Question

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Clutch Throwout Bearing Question

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Does anybody know offhand what the size of the round BB-like ball at the end of the clutch pushrod is? And on the other side, there's that big notched locking nut that you have to unscrew off the primary drive sprocket - one side is beveled - does it make a difference which way it goes on, and why...?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Clutch Throwout Bearing Question

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:51 am

the ball is 5/16.
The nut needs the rounded edge toward the crank.
The washer needs the raised side out. ................lm
Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Does anybody know offhand what the size of the round BB-like ball at the end of the clutch pushrod is? And on the other side, there's that big notched locking nut that you have to unscrew off the primary drive sprocket - one side is beveled - does it make a difference which way it goes on, and why...?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:17 am

Hi LM! Thanks for the re-check. I had to set the white Dream project aside for a bit, but I'm back on track. I don't know if you recall, but the black one has the same problem, I'm going back in to double-check today.

What difference does it make on which side of the nut is facing out?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:28 am

The part it contacts is a cone shaped tab lock washer.
The round edge is to allow the nut to not snag the washer and break the tab that is to fit into the cone washer from being ripped off. .................lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Hi LM! Thanks for the re-check. I had to set the white Dream project aside for a bit, but I'm back on track. I don't know if you recall, but the black one has the same problem, I'm going back in to double-check today.

What difference does it make on which side of the nut is facing out?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home