Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Carb Adjustment Question

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Carb Adjustment Question

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:01 pm

I'm working on my '64 CA77 and it runs "okay" , but it's running really rich. The spark plugs are dry and sooty, a velvety black soot. I tried dialing out the air-fuel mix to make it leaner, but still seem to have the same problem. LM this might be a question for you...does the Idle have an effect on the plugs?

I thought I had it, and set the screws at 1 1/2 turns out for both the air/fuel and the idle; I got the idle down to a nice level, but it seems kind of 'choppy', and the plugs are still sooty.

I'll futz with it again tomorrow, but I just wanted to table this question and see what I can find out.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 pm

Suggest that you look carefully at the float and float l.vel setting.

rrietman
honda305.com Member

Post by rrietman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:33 pm

first, and this might seem really silly. you do understand how the choke works? this has come up in the past more than once. lever UP is choke. lever DOWN is no choke. your main mixture adjustments are jet size and needle position. the idle air screw is for fine tuning only. float level is very important. if the engine is stock, then have stock jets. If you are that rich, the simplest thing to do first is just lower the needle.
Good luck
Randy

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:27 am

Hi guys - yes, the choke works by initially enriching the flow of fuel to the carb, allowing for easier start-ups, esp. when cold, right? After the engine starts you move it to No choke and the main jet takes over, yes..? At least that's my assumption of it...I have no problem starting it, it jumps right up there so at least my timing is right on.

Yes, I had that thought yesterday that I need to take out the carb again and go over it, but IIRC I think everything is where it should be and I have the right jets. "Trust But Verify", though, I guess... and indeed, the manual says the same thing re: the needle, so I'll take a look when I'm in there.

As a side note (maybe I should start another thread..?), I'm having a helluva time locking in the clutch. I've tried the whole 'unlock-right-left-right - and back off1/8"-lock-it-down-and-adjust" thing, but it's still dragging, I can't seem to find the sweet spot - any tips?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home