Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

I would appreciate your advice!

mosquito
honda305.com Member

I would appreciate your advice!

Post by mosquito » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:42 pm

A 1963 305 Dream I'm thinking about buying is in pretty good shape but the front fender is bent and the flare at the bottom is wrinkled. The fenders I found on eBay all seem to have the same problem which I think would be very difficult to repair. Are good used front fenders unobtainium or will I find one if I search long enough?
Thanks and cheers.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Bent fenders

Post by DJM » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:24 pm

My C92 suffered from the same issue years ago, I think the damage was caused by riding the bike off a high kerb.

If the basic metal is still sound a skilled metalworker should be able to get it back into shape.

mosquito
honda305.com Member

Advice

Post by mosquito » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply DJM! It looks like an uskilled metalworker had a go at fixing the damage and unfortunately the skilled variety is rather thin on the ground around here. Those flares must have been vulnerable; there are so many damaged ones out there.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Advice

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:35 pm

DJM is correct.
The flared front fender on the press steel type bikes has the front fender rather low at the rear and for sure if the rider rode off and over a high curb the fender was badly damaged.
At times you can find one on eBay and some may be OK but usually they require repair.
They are usually not cheep!. ...............lm
mosquito wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply DJM! It looks like an uskilled metalworker had a go at fixing the damage and unfortunately the skilled variety is rather thin on the ground around here. Those flares must have been vulnerable; there are so many damaged ones out there.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home