Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

AGM battery alternative for early slim battery Dreams

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

AGM battery alternative for early slim battery Dreams

Post by Hoosier Tom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:31 pm

I was getting frustrated at the low availability of the JB-3 batteries for the early Dreams. I use AGM batteries in my CB77s and my 4-cyl Hondas, but could not find one dimensionally like the early battery. I have noticed that the AGM batteries seam to have more CCAs than similarly dimensioned wet cell lead/acid batteries. I found one on e-bay for $17 and figured what-the-hell, I'll try it. Item 140570492429 . It is a YTX7L and cranks the starter extremely well. I've done six 5-second cranks in rapid succession and the battery doesn't show a hint of weakness. The battery/tool tray holds it in, and I put a rubber sheet over it to insulate from grounding out the battery. The dimensions are 4.5" x 2.81" x 5.18". I have no info on the CCA of the battery or any personal long test data, and am well aware the original Dream batteries were 9Ah rated, but for the price I'm willing to roll the dice and see if it works out.

HT
Attachments
battery 006.JPG
battery 005.JPG
battery 002.JPG

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:22 pm

What a cracking, good find, HT!

lifewithoutparole
honda305.com Member

AGM

Post by lifewithoutparole » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:42 am

I was wondering if anyone here had used AGM batteries...I have been thinking about replacing my CL77 battery (when it dies) with this type of battery...the lead acid batteries have typically lasted 2 years in my CL175, X6 and S90. I am going to research whether AGM's may last longer in Florida conditions..please let us know how this does over time. Thanks, Tim

lrutt
honda305.com Member

Post by lrutt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:18 am

I've been running an AGM in my CA77 for over 3 years now, no problems at all. I do keep it on a tender when not riding but still, it has done better than any lead acid as tenders can boil those dry. I run AGM's in all my old bikes and get a minimum of 6 years use with a high of 8 years use across 15 different bikes, both old and new.

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 pm

lrutt wrote:I've been running an AGM in my CA77 for over 3 years now, no problems at all. I do keep it on a tender when not riding but still, it has done better than any lead acid as tenders can boil those dry. I run AGM's in all my old bikes and get a minimum of 6 years use with a high of 8 years use across 15 different bikes, both old and new.
Irutt, might you let me know what year your bike is and what specific battery you're running? We just got an early CA78 that needs the JB-2 battery. Luckily there was a new one on eBay that we snapped up. But eventually it too will need to be replaced. I run a Yuasa AGM in my CB750 K4, and would love to have one that fits into my wife's "new" CA78, but the dimensions of the JB-2 are odd and needed for the air cleaner cover to be able to be used and held in place.

mschehen
honda305.com Member

Agm battery

Post by mschehen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 pm

Just ordered the same one for my dream. Thanks for the tip!

OldStan
honda305.com Member

Post by OldStan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 am

We just got an early CA78 that needs the JB-2 battery. Luckily there was a new one on eBay that we snapped up. But eventually it too will need to be replaced. I run a Yuasa AGM in my CB750 K4, and would love to have one that fits into my wife's "new" CA78, but the dimensions of the JB-2 are odd and needed for the air cleaner cover to be able to be used and held in place.
I just installed the YTX7L (exactly the same as the one pictured in the start of this thread) in my 63 CA78 that requires the JB-2 and used all the original hardware. It holds the air cleaner cover in place fine. I did make make a couple of tabs off the battery posts that drop down on the sides to mimic the original battery posts. The hot side I angled back for clearance from the hold down. I also put thin piece of rubber on top of the battery and in front of the hot terminal. The battery is shorter than the original but is held tightly and won't move.
63 CA78

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home