Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What is the difference between a CA77 and a CA78

rzgkane
honda305.com Member

Re: Ordering Parts

Post by rzgkane » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:40 pm

conbs wrote:Citizen Kane,

Generally, if you are ordering engine parts use your engine number. If you are ordering any other parts you will use your frame number. But you will need a parts manual (or two) to start the process of getting the right part for your bike/engine.

Your engine is a 1963 (6-digit beginning with a 3). All years of 305 Dreams have CA77E engine numbers. The highest number I have seen for 1963 engine is CA77E 319658, though as you have found, the Parts Manuals don't show numbers even near that high. For some reason the 1963 (only) CA78's have about a 5,000 unit gap between the engine and frame numbers in stead of the normal about 200, so that 5,000 gap apparently resulted in even higher engine numbers.

For most changes in engine parts, it will have happened in a different year and won't apply to your engine and the manuals will tell you exactly what you need. But, your task may get a little trickier for parts that were changed in 1963. Also watch for parts that the manuals indicate were changed at the beginning of the 1964 (I and II) production. There are issues with the Honda literature in that range. Measure everything and ask lots of questions. You will be able to figure things out as you will simply be choosing between an early or late part. Hopefully, you will be out riding and not wrenching so you will be meeting all those "Nicest People" and not pulling your hair out trying to buy correct parts.

BTW, the Honda literature only recognizes the CA78 in a few places even though most 305 Dreams are CA78 and not CA77 models. The change from CA77 to CA78 took place in mid 1963. So, even though the manual might say "CA77" for your '65 frame, match the number for the part application and you should be fine.
Thank you. I've just started diving into this bike and I'm sure have lots of surprises in store. For now, I'm just doing what I call "Home Depot" buying. I buy it all, whatever I think will fit my bike, and then I'll sell whatever doesn't. Someone will have a use for it whether it be early or late.

I've submitted a few orders using this Honda dealer:

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/contact_us.aspx

and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the cables, rubber parts, points etc. that they say are still available will fit my application. If not, I'll list all the part numbers here and you guys can pick and choose what you want/need.

Badshilo
honda305.com Member

Re: What is the difference between a CA77 and a CA78

Post by Badshilo » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 pm

I have an earlier model CA78 and have included a photo of the serial number. I thought that it was a CA77 and I was sure that was what I had seen when I checked it. But when I went to the DMV I saw the light.

russ
honda305.com Member

Post by russ » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:28 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/112453054@N05/ is there a way to find out what year my bike was manufactured ? The tittle says 68 . sorry if it was inappropriate to post in this thread , just reading thru the forum and found this topic . I don't know how much of bike is original , guess it doesn't matter as I enjoy it as is. I know the frt fender had some work and also the few things I've done . thanks

conbs
honda305.com Member

Year of production

Post by conbs » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:51 am

Why do you want to know what year it was produced?

russ
honda305.com Member

Post by russ » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:26 am

I guess the longer I have it and the more fun I have working on it , just more curious about it. I had to get clutch cable , I guessed right, it was short one. ya see, I was made in 66, wonderin if it was also. future reference ,

conbs
honda305.com Member

'66

Post by conbs » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:10 am

There is no way to know for sure when your bike was made. After the seven digit numbers started in '65 there is no breakout of production for each year. This was before the federal VIN requirements really kicked in and there was no "model year" for these bikes.

My guess is you were both made in '66. Production ended in '67.

The parts books are not completely accurate and there are differences among the different printings but, they are the best thing you have for getting the right parts for your bike. Follow the parts manual and you will usually get the right parts.

elephant
honda305.com Member

Shock Covers - Plastic or metal?

Post by elephant » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am

From my experience, (I'm not a parts manual guy) all the early CA77's had metal shock covers. After 1960 or 1961 only the white ones had metal shock covers, even all the CA78's.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home