Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:34 am

Hello Vince.
On average I rebuild 12 engines a year and I never know what may be inside the cases.
Those cams came from one of those rebuilds and I actually have another set exactly like those.
Who, what or where I wish I had the answers for you. ................................lm

Vince Lupo wrote:Hi again Teazer -- thanks ever so much for this great info. No, there aren't any numbers or markings on the shafts at all.

So my question is -- are these cams too much for the street? What I have in the bike now are racing valve springs with APE titanium caps, so hopefully they'd be okay to use with these cams. The other alternative that I have is to send a pair of stock cams that I have, along with the rockers, to Megacycle to have a 'Scrambler' profile applied to them. That would run about $700, I think, but might be more 'streetable' than these ones. Not sure, you'd likely have more insight into that than I would.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:25 am

Ed / Teazer, but based upon those measurements of the cams, would it be okay for the kind of riding that I do? Or would it be better suited for the track? I just don't want something unmanageable on the street, or to risk 'grenading' my engine -- done that once before!

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 pm

I rebuild closer to one race motor per each 12 years or thereabouts, so Ed has the running on street motors.

You have a high performance valve train and a 5 speed trans, I would try the cams and see how she runs. You must get your engine guy to check for valve to valve clearances as well as valve to piston clearance. If necessary, he may have to pocket the valves a little and shim the springs if needed.

I would expect that you will lose a little low end power and tractability and gain a chunk from mid range upwards.

I don't recall if you had the head ported, but if not, now would be a good time to clean it up.

Try to keep revs down to a 10,500 max which is where it should peak. It will probably run to 12 but at that speed crank rollers spin and rub and melt without race kit big end cages.

Somewhere here I should have a pair of 121-NT and 121-20 cams. The NT is a Norris T (road and track) and supposed has good bottom end and the -20 is a full race cam.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Hello! I know it has been quite a while since I've posted anything to this thread -- mainly because my bike has been out of commission for a number of months! I started the job of replacing the head and having the new camshaft installed, but one thing led to another and the job got temporarily shelved. Combine that with just being busy with other things, and now here we are in June. Ah well, better late than never....

I was tired of the oil leak from around the spark plug holes that's been going on for years, and finally decided to do something about it. Ed Moore was kind enough to send me a nice shiny head as well as these fancy camshafts, and we have finally gotten down to it. I just picked up the newly-ported and polished and valve-jobbed head from Mr. Ladd at Ladd's Porting Services here just south of Baltimore. John will be picking up the head today and will have everything buttoned back up in a jiffy. Then it's testing time and hopefully we'll be back on the road before you know it. More news to come soon -- we hope!

Looks pretty, don't you think???

Honda Head2017 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:28 am

Hi Vince

Can you test ypur photographic skills and get some pics of the ports. It looks like any other head from that angle..... :-)

I have one or two heads that have been ported for racing and it would be nice to compare.

G

Vince Lupo wrote:Hello! I know it has been quite a while since I've posted anything to this thread -- mainly because my bike has been out of commission for a number of months! I started the job of replacing the head and having the new camshaft installed, but one thing led to another and the job got temporarily shelved. Combine that with just being busy with other things, and now here we are in June. Ah well, better late than never....

I was tired of the oil leak from around the spark plug holes that's been going on for years, and finally decided to do something about it. Ed Moore was kind enough to send me a nice shiny head as well as these fancy camshafts, and we have finally gotten down to it. I just picked up the newly-ported and polished and valve-jobbed head from Mr. Ladd at Ladd's Porting Services here just south of Baltimore. John will be picking up the head today and will have everything buttoned back up in a jiffy. Then it's testing time and hopefully we'll be back on the road before you know it. More news to come soon -- we hope!

Looks pretty, don't you think???

Honda Head2017 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:14 am

Unfortunately John already has the head and is in the process of installing it. What I can do is take pictures of the old head when I get it back. It should be more or less the same as the new one, as Mr. Ladd did that head too.

flahotrodder
honda305.com Member

valve spring retainers

Post by flahotrodder » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 pm

I was reading this thread and saw where you referenced using APE titanium valve spring retainers. I am curious what application they are for? I talked to them and they do not make any thing for our CB77. I am building a modified engine and would appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks, Doug

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home