Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Cafe a CL77?

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Cafe a CL77?

Post by Hahnda » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:43 am

Has anybody ever done one or seen one? I picked up a pair of late CL's last weekend The bikes are mostly in boxes and missing a few detail parts. The previous owner was going to cafe it but never got any further than cutting up the fenders and painting a frame. So I was possibly thinking of taking the same route after I saw the bike as a roller. I was originally planning to convert my box of CB77 parts into a cafe but along with the CL's I got a few more good CB parts. So now I'm thinking the CB will be somewhat restored and one of the CL's will be cafe'd.

So what this all boils down to - Does anybody know of a cafe looking tank that might look ok on the CL. I tried a CB350F but it looked a little large and it sat to low in the rear. Tried a CB350T and it was the same way.

Any suggestions?

Blackbomber
honda305.com Member

Holy cow, I thought I was the only one doing this!

Post by Blackbomber » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:48 am

I've been toying with the idea of Cafe'ing my 67 scrambler for a few months now. I'm in the process of cleaning up my basement and garage, and should begin the project the last week in December. As to the question at hand: I'm firmly convinced that there is not a readilly available tank that will just bolt on and look good. If money is no object (but then we would be restoring a Vincent or Matchless), the CR77 tank looks great on a lot of smaller bikes. I was originally thinking of using an older Yamaha dirt bike tank, like from a late '70s or early '80's DT 175. They are long and narrow. Certain models are better than others. If I remember correctly, I think some of them had the two stroke oil resevoir in the frame, and some tanks are cut deep near the neck for cap access. That may be a plus considering the extreme top tube angle of these frames. The other option I'm considering is a Honda CX500 deluxe tank. It looks silly on the CX, but if you have ever seen one laid flat, it has a really nice shape. Two problems with this tank, though. It's super wide. Thanks to the backbone frame construction of the CX, it would be relatively easy to narrow this tank by two inches or so, and probably still leave room for your ignition coils. The other problem is the covered cap, although that would be addressed when you cut it up. Oh, then there is the flange that would need to be shaved, as well as the rear bracket. It would be a lot of work, but worth it, in my oppinion. Swap meet season is over here in CT, so I'll be looking to ebay to try and find a tank. There have been at least two CX tanks per week since I started looking. I'm in no hurry, so I'm trying to get one on the cheap. If I get a tank before you do, I'll set it on the frame, and snap some photos. By the way, have you given thought to foot controls? I'm going to make the rearsets myself, the problem for me is the kickstart. I have a few different levers, and can probably cobble something together that clears the peg, but I'm not sure. The pegs will wind up being roughly in the location of the original passenger pegs. I suppose as a last resort, I could try and put the reverse kickstart assembly from a superhawk on there, but I'm really trying to keep cost to an absoloute minimum. Anyway, I think you should continue on the Cafe path. The stock CL pipes will look killer - no need to modify anything there. The frame is right, with the full cradle. I have already made more money selling off the desireable scrambler bits I'm not using than I paid for the bike, so i'm at zero cost right now - this will definately cost a tiny fraction of a restoration, and be loads more fun. Plus I'll have someone to steal ideas from. Good luck - Wilson

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:28 am

I haven't given the the project a whole lot of thought to this point yet. To many projects going on right now to really concentrate on any of them. I'm doing a cafe right now on a CB500.

That one will have clip-ons, rear-sets, 4-1 exhaust, Koni shocks, hidden battery, no sidecovers, etc.

I'm not thinking that on the CL. Was thinking clubman bars, CL exhaust with no muffler, not sure on the whole headlight /speedo setup, cafe seat, some kind of tank, but possibly leave the stock pegs in place. I really don't know yet. I will have to see how it looks.

I know a stock tank isn't just going to fit. I had to do a few mods to get that CB350F tank on the CB500. Was just looking for a few ideas and you had some. Last night I was test fitting a couple of dirt bike tanks I had lying around. The ones I had were to small to get a good look.

Rearsets on the CB500 are actually of a modern sport bike. $20 on ebay.

The CL is a different bike as far as frames go for sticking a tank on there. That backbone is kind of steep.

Was looking at these for tanks? Moped tanks on ebay.

Blackbomber
honda305.com Member

Nice work!

Post by Blackbomber » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:22 pm

I see I was preaching to the choir in my earlier post. I actually like that Negrini tank a lot. I'm going to make a cardboard mock up with the dimensions the seller gives, and see how it looks on my frame. Obviously the top tube angle will be a problem, but I figure if I can find a way to cut a clean arc in the sheetmetal, I can section in a piece of 3" auto exaust pipe to change raise the tunnel up front. I've owned 3 1960's Hondas since 1999, and I can't believe I only just found this site! Anyway, I like the work on the 500f. I won't even ask if you have seen Steve Carpenter's site, cb750cafe.com. I have always admired Cafe racers as a form of customization, but his site really got me thinking. Mostly because his use of SOHC Honda fours is not the expected platform. I toyed with the idea of Cafe'ing my Sportster. Too common. Also my '65 CB450 K0. Too sacrilligeous. After seeing Carpy's site, my mind was expanded. I have a couple of basket cases that I'm not interested in restoring. A '69 HD Sprint 350, and my '67 305 Scrambler. Perfect! I initially preferred the Aermacchi/HD. Again, done plenty, but you don't see them on the road in any form. I just realized I'd prefer riding the twin more. I have had a CB160, and even that was thrilling, so this bike should be a blast! Anyway, thanks for the photos. I love seeing builds in progress....... Except for the cookie cutter American bikes built in my shop (the one I work for, that is). I think the discovery channel burnt me out on that type of bike. I'll take a Heritage Softail any day, and probably leave it bone stock. Now that would be different! - Wilson

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:12 am

I like the Negrini tank also but I think it will be a pain to mount unless you did as you say and raise the tunnel up in the front. I tried a couple more tanks on for size this weekend. First was an S90 tank. In some ways it looked really good but might be a bit to small. It could be made to work with very few mods. Next I tried a CB77 tank. I liked it but ran into petcock clearance issues with the carbs. It also looked to much like a CB77???? The one I wnat to try next is a CB160 tank. I didn't get around to this one yet.

I just don't think the typical long racer tanks are going work on a bike like this. To look right those tanks have to go straight back and the only way that is going to happen is with some serious changes to that tank.

I think I'm going to stick with a 60's Honda tank and work with it to see what I can come up with.

Yep I have been to Carpy's site. Quite a few nice bikes but there are a few odd things. It usually has a stock tank and he never uses rearsets. Still nice looking bikes though.

I'm still not sold on the seat I have on that 500. Some days I like it some I don't.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:10 pm

I am still looking for a CA77 cafe racer to appear somewhere. Even an artist rendering would be interesting! Any artists out there?Kustommusic

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:14 pm

Have you ever seen this pic?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home