Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:39 pm

G-Man wrote:Vince

What does the mating cam follower look like? Difficult to see from your photo but it does look like it has been hot at some time.

Do you cam followers have the lube hole in the middle of the pad? I don't think those work as well as the early type as the hole breaks up the lubrication 'wedge' across the cam follower.

Id does look like the facing has de-laminated from the base camshaft material. Whether that caused the problem or was a result is difficult to say without closer inspection.

Don't forget that those missing particles are now inside the engine......

I wouldn't re-use that cam if I were you.

More pictures, please.

G
I didn't have a look at the mating cam follower to see what it looked like -- I think John looked at them and didn't notice anything unusual. He and Mr. Ladd will look at those things next week.

No I do not have the ones with the holes -- the ones I have are solid.

I can't say whether it was hot at some time or not -- it was getting plenty of oil, mind you I was doing high-speed runs in hot weather, so maybe that could have been a contributing factor?

I'll have to ask John about those particles inside the engine -- I have the Cappellini paper oil filter kit, so hopefully it might catch whatever might be in there.

We've decided to go back to the stock cam -- no more camshaft experiments.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi Vince

I got these cams and roller rockers with some race bike parts. The cams have been re-profiled by subtracting metal rather than adding it. Yoshimura did something similar with standard followers.

Notice the clever 'ball ended' adjusters, too.

G

Vince Lupo wrote:
G-Man wrote:Vince

What does the mating cam follower look like? Difficult to see from your photo but it does look like it has been hot at some time.

Do you cam followers have the lube hole in the middle of the pad? I don't think those work as well as the early type as the hole breaks up the lubrication 'wedge' across the cam follower.

Id does look like the facing has de-laminated from the base camshaft material. Whether that caused the problem or was a result is difficult to say without closer inspection.

Don't forget that those missing particles are now inside the engine......

I wouldn't re-use that cam if I were you.

More pictures, please.

G
I didn't have a look at the mating cam follower to see what it looked like -- I think John looked at them and didn't notice anything unusual. He and Mr. Ladd will look at those things next week.

No I do not have the ones with the holes -- the ones I have are solid.

I can't say whether it was hot at some time or not -- it was getting plenty of oil, mind you I was doing high-speed runs in hot weather, so maybe that could have been a contributing factor?

I'll have to ask John about those particles inside the engine -- I have the Cappellini paper oil filter kit, so hopefully it might catch whatever might be in there.

We've decided to go back to the stock cam -- no more camshaft experiments.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:45 pm

Nice looking set there. Think I'm done with internal experiments (plus I'm getting tired of throwing more money into the bike). Back to stock.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Post by cknight » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi G, good looking followers there. Much nicer appearing than the Webco roller kit rockers that were offered here. Regards, Chase

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 pm

As that is half of the the cam assembly you are now at a time that rather than fix one side you will need to GET BOTH cams to match.
I have a perfect set of modified cams complete with matching sprocket if you like. ............emo
Vince Lupo wrote:Well we've run into a bit of an issue....

John and I had been doing testing and tuning these past couple of weeks, and we were having a problem with the right cylinder. At WOT the right exhaust was making a 'braaa braaa braaa' sound, and we concluded that it could be the exhaust valve 'floating' because of a weak spring. So he took the head apart and I brought the head back to Mr. Ladd (he did the porting and polishing of the head a few months ago). He had a quick look at it and noticed this on one of the cam lobes:

Camshaft Lobe by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

This is that high-lift camshaft that we just installed a few hundred miles ago. Is this this hard-facing breaking down? Should I now not use this camshaft? I surely don't want to put the bike all back together with a camshaft that might give up the ghost shortly, but I'd rather not send this camshaft to, say, Megacycle to have it refaced (more $$$ of course!). I suppose I could always just go back to the stock camshaft and call it a day. My mechanic John was here earlier today and looked at this photo -- he said it almost looks like it was running without oil, but he knows that's not the case as the top end would always be wet with oil every time he'd take it apart, plus I have the Cappellini 6mm oil pump and oil filter kit, so no problems with oil circulation.

Any suggestions???

supervision
honda305.com Member

Post by supervision » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 am

CRF 150f honda uses are roller rockers year 2012, these are the very popular play bikes, the early style look jut like XR 200R heads, late model is roller

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:09 am

I got these cams and roller rockers with some race bike parts. The cams have been re-profiled by subtracting metal rather than adding it. Yoshimura did something similar with standard followers[/quote

A typical dutch design......
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home