Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

SuperHawk Meets Triton

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Here is the final installment -- new TOGA/Norman Hyde Gold Star 'Twitter' mufflers and AMAL 626 carbs. The mufflers are VERY loud and are a little longer than the EMGO's that were previously on the bike (plus the quality is a heck of a lot better). So, I guess it's not really 'SuperHawk Meets Triton', but more like 'SuperHawk Meets BSA, Norton, Triumph and Royal Enfield'!
Attachments
TheBeast.jpg

m.n.
honda305.com Member

Post by m.n. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:57 pm

Where did you get the old mufflers from (JC whitney)? And did you have to rejet for them?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:25 am

The 'old' mufflers (that is, the EMGO Dunstall replicas) I got from them. They look great and they sound great and they're 'period correct' (at least in my opinion), but their Archilles Heel is their mounting channel on the backside of the muffler. I don't know whether it was due to vibration or the crappy roads here in the Baltimore area (you being in DC, you know the deal!), but the metal on the face of the channel breaks -- I've had it happen three times on three different EMGO Dunstall mufflers. Fortunately they aren't too expensive to replace, and I'm sure that I could've welded something stronger to fix the situation, but I just got tired of the mufflers and had always wanted these Goldstar mufflers (should've gotten these in the first place!). Visually the only difference between the EMGO versions and real Dunstalls is that the EMGO's have a welded seam at the business end of the muffer, and the Dunstalls don't (plus they say 'Dunstall' on them!). I don't think rejetting is necessary, though I can't say for sure as the mufflers were part of a bunch of other work done at the same time. Ride it and check the plugs....?

Hope this helps!

m.n.
honda305.com Member

Post by m.n. » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks man. I appreciate the thorough review of the product, as I was thinking about purchasing some.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:08 pm

The last of the winter projects is under way (ha - famous last words!), and hopefuly should be done in a couple of weeks. I'm having some leakage where the mufflers join the head pipes, so we're going to try and resolve that issue, and K&N filters are going to be adapted to fit behind the side covers -- so all will appear normal on the outside, but underneath the side covers will be the stealthy heavy breathing K&N's! I'm sure there will be this massive horsepower increase with these puppies....

Other cosmetic touches include getting the footpegs and that brake pedal plate that protects the brake switch chromed (they're at the chromer as we type), a new rear tire and a 30 tooth sprocket (currently a 32 on there), and, um....I think that's it.

Of course, photos will invariably follow this latest (and hopefully last) round of mods. Stay tuned for all the excitement....

Superchicken
honda305.com Member

Post by Superchicken » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:03 pm

I only got a 29 on mine, all along I was remembering it as a 32. Counted and it's a 29.. Hey is your trany crossed? Mines been that way awhile, and I like it.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:30 am

What's on there now is a 32 (or at least it's labeled as such!), as is the 30 -- maybe I'm too trusting of the imprinted number on the sprocket. The stock sprocket that came with a CB77 was a 30, as I've been told by those in the know here on the forum. I actually started out with a 34, and ran with that for 2 years before I realized I could change it which would make it more advantageous for highway riding (okay okay, I am a slow learner). Of course, I don't think I'll really know if I do get any kind of power increase with these K&N's because I'm also doing this sprocket change too, and we'll see if a jetting change is necessary.

I don't have the gears 'X'd', but I'm aware of it but not sure how that makes for a better running machine. How does it differ and what's involved? Don't forget, I'm just a rider with a wallet (an ever-shrinking one at that!), and changing the oil and adjusting the clutch cable are about as adventurous as I personally get. I know my talents, and being a mechanic isn't one of them!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home