Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Japan Meets Britain

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Vince

Selling it would be a shame after all you have put into it. If you have a fireplace, you should drain all the fluids and have it mounted to the wall above. It's too pretty to let someone else spoil it.

G
Vince Lupo wrote:Finally managed to get out for a late-season ride. It was yet another shakedown ride, as I had some annoying oil leaks to sort out: Ignition housing gaskets, clutch rod seal, a new clutch rod, and oil pump gaskets. We also added one of those Cappellini crankcase breather vents. Bike ran great, very smooth, and best of all no oil leaks.

I'm actually thinking of selling the bike -- not sure if I'll actually follow through with it, but it's something I'm considering. I have no clue what it would be worth on the open market -- definitely nowhere near what I have in it.

Thank God for heated mitts and long underwear. And Belstaff :)
Image]
November Ride by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

The Cappellni crankcase vent -- the hose has a small K&N filter on the other end, hidden up behind the right side cover.
Cappellini Vent by Vince Lupo, on Flickr
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 pm

G-Man wrote:Vince

Selling it would be a shame after all you have put into it. If you have a fireplace, you should drain all the fluids and have it mounted to the wall above. It's too pretty to let someone else spoil it.

G
We'll see -- if I did attempt to sell it, it wouldn't be until the spring. We're going to be making some life changes over the next few years, and I don't think the bike is going to figure into them. My big challenge will be trying to figure out what to ask for it, as well as finding that certain someone who likes all that I've done and is willing to pay for it. I don't think it could be 'spoiled' much more than it is!

Who knows, maybe somebody in England will buy it and it will end up in its rightful home :)

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Well I have an update on the 'should I sell my bike' question. This morning my wife convinced me to keep it. So I may end up keeping it until the end :)

The end of what -- I'm not so sure!

AlanW
honda305.com Member

Post by AlanW » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Correct decision Vince.
Al.

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:03 pm

AlanW wrote:Correct decision Vince.
Al.
Well it’s the current decision at least, which may change at some point.

Over the last 13 years I’ve put the equivalent of a Vincent Series C Rapide in #2 condition into this bike (look up that price and you’ll get an idea), so I’m not about to let it go for $5000, but I know I’m certainly not going to get back what I have in it. Plus I’d have to find that person who appreciates all that I’ve done to it and is willing to pay a fair price for it. That’s the challenge - figuring out the value as it currently sits and finding someone to pay that price, whatever it may be.

This was not a good year for riding, as well as having a bunch of unfortunate things happen to the bike all at once. Maybe all that has coloured my perspective. Hopefully next year will be better on both counts - I’m already thinking about riding out to Mid-Ohio next July :)

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 am

Vince

Glad to hear that you ar egoing to hold on to it. Because it is so 'personal' it would be hard to find someone who appreciates it as much as you do.

G
Vince Lupo wrote:
AlanW wrote:Correct decision Vince.
Al.
Well it’s the current decision at least, which may change at some point.

Over the last 13 years I’ve put the equivalent of a Vincent Series C Rapide in #2 condition into this bike (look up that price and you’ll get an idea), so I’m not about to let it go for $5000, but I know I’m certainly not going to get back what I have in it. Plus I’d have to find that person who appreciates all that I’ve done to it and is willing to pay a fair price for it. That’s the challenge - figuring out the value as it currently sits and finding someone to pay that price, whatever it may be.

This was not a good year for riding, as well as having a bunch of unfortunate things happen to the bike all at once. Maybe all that has coloured my perspective. Hopefully next year will be better on both counts - I’m already thinking about riding out to Mid-Ohio next July :)
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 am

Vince Lupo wrote: This morning my wife convinced me to keep it.
A lucky man indeed!
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home