Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Lil Smokey

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
georGe
honda305.com Member

Re: Lil Smokey

Post by georGe » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:32 pm

Ace,<br /> Yer &quot;surge&quot; problem is more than likely a weak battery !<br />It is critical that the battery be up to par,the gen. doesnt start producing 12+volts til I think 1500rpm. Do not run it hooked to a charger either as it hurts the rectifier. The high rev is probably due to the carb being over tightend @ the flange which makes the slide stick the more it is raised. As for the shifting problem it is possible that the shift linkage is binding due to improper install considering yer bike has the &quot;C&quot;(racing) shift rod.Worst case scenario is an internal trans prob i.e.- bad forks,dogs,etc...<br />OR<br />The bike is a complete P.O.S. and you should sell it to me fer pennies on the dollar...and deliver it to me in Florida fer FREE !!!!<br /><br />hahahahahahahahaha<br /><br />Im not the best on the keyboard so if ya need me to splain things better just email me yer number or vice versa and Ill talk ya through.<br /><br />georGe<br />

Ace
honda305.com Member

Post by Ace » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:17 am

georGe: Thanks for the quick response. Since you are now the official tech for this bike, I will think about sending you one piece of the bike for every piece of info, eventually, (probably sooner than later), it would all end up in Florida. Could you tell me what battery rating I should get for it? Oh, and one more thing that may have to do with shifting, I need to work out at the local gym to pull the clutch in--man, it is HEAVY to pull in.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:12 pm

hahahahaha-No need to send parts just yet...just keep me in mind if ya ever decide to sell it !<br />The factory calls for a 12N9-3A which is a 12volt 9amp battery,hard as fleas balls to fide one . I use a 12volt7amp and keep it on a battery tender when its @ home.<br />As for the clutch being heavy it is probably a combination of several things: heavy clutch springs,maladjusted clutch cable and possibly a bowed clutch rod. Now that ya mentioned it that may also be yer shifting problem ! Before ya go much further w/ ridin it ya may want to consider goin over this thing w/ a fine tooth comb and see what has been tinkered with. Since this thing has alot of the <br />YB race parts on it I would be willin to bet that there are some other funky things done to it that were &quot;home racer &quot; tricks. <br /><br />georGe

Ace
honda305.com Member

Post by Ace » Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:32 pm

My fine tooth comb isn't working worth a poop right now, georGe. We are having a cold snap here, and by the time I get home from work it's dark. I only have wood heat out in my awesome shop (not) so it would take till bedtime for the place to thaw out. I will, however, get to work out there on Saturday, with new battery in hand. I'll let cha know. Stay warm. Ace

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:49 pm

aargh cold weather....it has been in the mid seventies here all week,mind you I live in N.E Florida so its not normal for it to be this warm right now. Normally we have a chilly high of 60 or so...brrrrr !!<br />Got yer email ...thanks for the picts if ya could get some close ups of the rear brake lever and linkage for me.<br />Good luck this weekend.<br /><br />georGe

Ace
honda305.com Member

Post by Ace » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:09 pm

Yer right about those batteries, georGe. I did find one, (at NAPA), but it is coming from the factory and won't be here for 2 weeks. It is the correct number, and 9 volt, however, so I decided to go for it. Watch yer in-box for the rear brake lever and linkage, which I will shoot and send on Saturday. Put yer sweater on if yer so f'in cold.

georGe
honda305.com Member

Post by georGe » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:58 pm

&quot;It is the correct number, and 9 volt...&quot; (quote from Ace)<br /><br /><br />Make sure its a 12 volt not a 9 volt !!! <br />I fingured it was just a typo but still gotta make sure, not tryin to be corrective dick just wanna make sure ya get the right part !!<br />I couldnt find a sweater tonight so I had to brave it w/ short sleeves @ 65 deg. on the bicycle ride to my buddies house...I had a bit of a shiver ! I may have to wear a long sleeve Tshirt under my mesh riding jacket tommorrow on the way to work ! <br />What a hard life.<br /><br /><br />georGe<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />i fing

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home