Admirers

1958 Yamaha Catalina Racer

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
flyinbob2001
honda305.com Member

Re: 1958 Yamaha Catalina Racer

Post by flyinbob2001 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:06 am

chip wrote:
rbaselt wrote:Anyone know the whereabouts of this bike?
http://www.classicyams.com/race-bikes/e ... tored.html
Hi, I currently own the Yamaha #33 YD Catalina Works racer. It was the first Japanese bike to ever race in America. Set the lap record at Catalina in 1958 which still stands! At least until they re-open the race this December. I think after 52 years, bikes have improved enough that the record will be broken. It was also the loudest bike at the event we are told. There are some great movies showing the bike currently on internet sites and on youtube. This was Yamaha's first Genuine racer and their first Works bike. The President of Yamaha attended the race in '58 and the bike was used to introduce the American public to Yamaha. I don't like to say it on a Honda site, but it was a Tad bit faster than the Honda's back then. Let me know if you want more info.
Best Regards, Chip
Hi...Very interested in this motorcycle...Please respond to robert buchholz flyinbob2001@yahoo.com or my cell is 8502849255...I know your post is kinda old but hope you still check in to this site....Thanks,bob

Nick
honda305.com Member

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Couple of pics of the YD Racer taken at the 1958 Catalina GP. The photos come from the Yamaha-produced book 'Spirit of Challenge: Sixty Years of Racing Success'. The book is a limited edition for Yamaha Motor and its affiliates and is not offered for general sale. However, some 4,000 copies have been sent to Yamaha dealers around the world. This large-format, high-quality publication is filled with archival photos and descriptions of all of the most famous Yamaha racers and their riders, from the Asama racers to the present day. Those interested in obtaining a copy might be able to do so through a sympathetic Yamaha dealer. And if the dealer has a copy they would probably allow you to view it.
I translated portions of it into English for Yamaha and they kindly sent me a copy which I will, of course, never part with.

Do what you've always done and you'll get what you've always had.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home