Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Racebike Only Thread.

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

CYB KIT CB72

Post by GORDON BROWN » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you for the intrest in the bikes, as you probably have guessed by the mess I have made posting the pictures I did not study computers at school ( actualy don't think you could then ).I am afraid I dont have any "Naked" pictures of the racer but I could supply more details of both bikes if its OK and of intrest, on this or another thread ?
To answer Cyclon's question, can I lie on the 305 site ? thought not. It's actualy a copy ( can I call it a replica ) of the CYB part its alloy with all the reinforcment plates etc. though I did use a fiberglass copy when I raced it. I think the tank looks more Japanese racer like this and have you felt the weight of the panels and rubbers !
Dgormley you are correct SAFOJ is a acronym. I might use it as my tag line as most people seem, to have one on web-sites.

Gordon

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Re: CYB KIT CB72

Post by cyclon36 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:11 pm

GORDON BROWN wrote:Thank you for the intrest in the bikes, as you probably have guessed by the mess I have made posting the pictures I did not study computers at school ( actualy don't think you could then ).I am afraid I dont have any "Naked" pictures of the racer but I could supply more details of both bikes if its OK and of intrest, on this or another thread ?
To answer Cyclon's question, can I lie on the 305 site ? thought not. It's actualy a copy ( can I call it a replica ) of the CYB part its alloy with all the reinforcment plates etc. though I did use a fiberglass copy when I raced it. I think the tank looks more Japanese racer like this and have you felt the weight of the panels and rubbers !
Dgormley you are correct SAFOJ is a acronym. I might use it as my tag line as most people seem, to have one on web-sites.

Gordon
Thanks for the feedback Gordon. Is the fender replica something you made or something that can be purchased from a company?

gltrench
honda305.com Member

Post by gltrench » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:31 am

Thank you for the intrest in the bikes, as you probably have guessed by the mess I have made posting the pictures I did not study computers at school ( actualy don't think you could then ).I am afraid I dont have any "Naked" pictures of the racer but I could supply more details of both bikes if its OK and of intrest, on this or another thread ?

Gordon
Hi Gordon,
I'd love to hear more on your bikes, such as as specs, mods (especially the interesting frame mods on your racer). Plus, I too would be interested in knowing more about your replica CYB rear fender-it's the last piece I need for my CYB-72.
Thanks!
-Gabe

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

CYB KIT CB72

Post by GORDON BROWN » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Hello everyone

Here are a few more details about the bikes/ parts.
The bad news is that since the pictures were taken in 2008 not much has happened to the CYB kit bike as it has not run, the reason will be familliar racers all round, I "stole" bits off it to use on the other bike ( in this case the CYB primary assy.) This also explains the rather large rear sprocket on the racer.
The CYB thing is actualy the fault of a gent called Pete Rhodes ( some of his work is elsewhere on the site, CB77 with CB450 top end etc.) He put one together and it was featured in Classic Bike magazine, it looked good and diffrent an I already had chassis etc. so why not build one ?
Easy answers, parts are rare / expensive, hence one or two parts are actualy "fakes". If I could not(afford to ) buy them I have tried to make the parts.
I have been lucky with some of the stuff though, I think the main part of the rear fender was made by Peter Kyte in England ( he is well known for alloy tanks etc. ) and I did the easy bit and riveted on the plates etc. ( I took dimentions from an original )
I raced the bike as a 250 for a while but while sliding down a wet race track on my **** wondering if my precious CYB seat would be OK, I decided to rebuild it for parades only. It is now waiting for the "stolen" bits to be replaced and then sort out the ET ign.system. Perhaps I could take / post more pictures when it is appart if that's OK.
The racer has been changed so often it,s hard to say where to start. It is presently broken ( old modified piston, 10,000+ RPM= bang, well actualy a dull rattle ). The chassis was originaly modified with CR style footrest mounts by Pete Rhodes ,altered later to tuck the pipes in more and act as a breather catch tank by myself , the tank, seat, fairing , brake plates and footrests/pedals were made by Tony Milk . I made the CR type top yoke from a welded up 160? one.
I seem to have gotten a bit long winded now but if it is of intrest I could post further details, engine spec. etc. later.

Gordon

SAFOJ

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Jerry,

Good luck at the Island this coming weekend. Please send pics or point us to some so we can enjoy the race meet vicariously.

jerry
honda305.com Member

Post by jerry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Teazer, Will do. We are leaving in about 40hrs time and then will be back on Monday evening. Remember there is nothing more certain in racing than uncertainty. Jerry

bikedoctor99
honda305.com Member

race bike

Post by bikedoctor99 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:55 am

Beautiful and purposefully prepared race bikes!! Most successfully campaigned (serious efforts ) are constantly evolutionary by necessity, so its understandable that parts are borrowed. Looking at your pics reminded me of my first outing on my ex Amol CB77 race bike in 1970. It was prepared when they were competitive in the early '60's. After a few laps we may have invented the breather catch can, there was so much blow-by that we taped a soda can ( may have been a beer can ) and ran all plumbing into it! This poor baby had led a very hard and stressed race life prior to my acquisition. Necessity is the mother of invention.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home