Admirers

Old CB77 Racer Help Needed

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Fishcop
honda305.com Member

Old CB77 Racer Help Needed

Post by Fishcop » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi All

First time post, and looks like I've come to the right place :)

I recently inherited my late uncle's cb77 race bike which has been in storage for nearly 20 years. It had moderate racing success in local classes, but I don't think it's history is significant.

I won't race it, but I would like to use it for the odd track day and perhaps get it street legal.

I'm seeking opinion on what I have, specifically important aspects to retain and any "tasty" bits to pay attention to (service/protect).

Here's what I know:

CB72 frame
CB77 engine (possibly kitted to 350cc)
Amal carbies with custom bells and intake runners
Alloy wheels
Beaumeister clip-ons
Interesting front brake drum - can anyone tell me what it is?
Alloy and glass fuel tanks
No kick or electric start
Ignition does not use a battery - some kind of total loss set up (capacitor?)

Please peruse photos and feel free to comment/critique what I have. I am not familiar with these bikes, but am looking forward to enjoying it.
Attachments
P1120174.jpg
P1120176.jpg
P1120182.jpg
P1120185.jpg
P1120183.jpg
Last edited by Fishcop on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishcop
honda305.com Member

Post by Fishcop » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Some more...
Attachments
P1120180.jpg
P1120181.jpg
P1120177.jpg
P1120178.jpg
P1120187.jpg

Fishcop
honda305.com Member

Post by Fishcop » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Two more...
Attachments
PC150131.jpg
PC150130.jpg

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 am

Nice catch.

Front brake is easy. It's a modified GT750J Suzuki with modified CB72 backing plates. There's a lot of work in that.

Rear brake is modified CB72. No surprises there but lots of work

Intake tubes/velocity stacks are worth keeping too. They were designed for 72 Beezumph racers (BSA and Triumph triples)

Motor is a 62 (?) with breather tower

Frame is nicely modified

Ignition on the right side hiding under that small cover is anyone's guess. I'd like to see what under there. The right cover is from a dream or CL

Forks are also interesting. They appear to be RD Yamaha legs in modified stock steel sliders with a custom top triple clamp.

Nice quick action throttle, GP shift pattern (reversed lever), Kawasaki style steering damperr and modified race kit look foot levers.

All in all a nice piece of work.

Keep posting pics as you start to tear it down and inspect and document everything please.

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:21 am

What do you now about the bike's history? It reminds me of one raced by Leo Coles back when I raced, but he was in VIC.

BTW - keep it out of the flood waters...

Fishcop
honda305.com Member

Post by Fishcop » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:03 am

Hi Teazer

It is certainly a week of dramatic weather here - many friends affected, but I'm lucky to be elevated.

Thanks for the valuable information. My late uncle was a bit of a mechanical genius and did all of his own work on this and several other bikes.

I don't know too much about the bike's history. I do know he won the first historic bike meet at Eastern Creek in 1990 on this bike and was it campaigned around NSW - it was in the same colours but fully faired at that time.

I am currently elbow deep in a car restoration and won't turn my attention to the bike until later in the year, however I'll likely do some paint work on it whilst I have the guns out and a paint booth booked. The main dramas I have (as you point out) is that it it contains many custom elements that I want to keep but need to know what brake shoes, fork seals, ignition components etc... to use; and unfortunately he's not around to refer to :(

I'd like to set the bike up as a bit of a homage to to the CYB77 racers, perhaps naked in street guise, and faired for track days... And I'm partial to the red/silver factory colour combo.

Thanks again
John

teazer
honda305.com Member

Post by teazer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 am

Hi John

Front Brakes shoes: Use stock Suzuki GT750/550 or get them relined
Fork seal: Strip the forks and read the seal number or measure them. That's easy to do
Ignition: we'll know the answer to that after you pull the ignition/alternator cover off. It may all be more or less stock but with a thinner alternator.

There are a lot of unique parts and modifications on that bike. Will we see you at the Island next January racing it? Good time to start racing. You have teh bike. All you need are elathers helmet boots etc.

BTW, did anyone find the MA Logbook that goes with that bike? Your local MA office may have a copy on file if you tell them the story of the bike.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home