Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Any interest in race seat replicas?

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Ok, I know it's been slow going...at least it's winter though :-)

Anyway, all of the metal work has been squared away and everything seems to be fitting well. I did a quick mock-up of the seat on my bike to test fit everything and it all seems to work well.

The front hump will be permanently attached to the base pan with fiberglass once I make a template for the bracket locations so the other seats come out easier. Once that is done, the front of the hump will be cut and filed to fit the contour of the gas tank more closely. It was left long so I could fine tune it by hand.

My goal is to have a finished seat by the end of February. My office is in the middle of a move to a new location so that's been slowing everything down thus far.

61HONDADREAMCA77
honda305.com Member

Post by 61HONDADREAMCA77 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:23 am

That seat is looking great... I can't wait to see the finished product!

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Well, I thought we were at the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm having trouble fitting the pan down over the frame. It bumps into parts of the frame around the middle of the seat leaving a 1/4" gap between the mounting brackets and the pan itself.

I think somewhere among the passing between the fiberglass guys, the center was straightened out or narrowed in or something. At first, I figured the pan might have just been too deep so I've been grinding and sanding over the past few weekends to try and get it to fit. I ended up tearing through the two pans that had been made already.

To sum it all up, I'm going to have to make a corrected outline of the footprint I need and send it over to the fiberglass guy to alter the mold accordingly.

Sorry for the delay all.

-Joe

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Thank's again to Tom who has be incredibly helpful in this entire project with providing measurements when needed. Using his latest batch of references, I've figured out where our current problem lies. It seems that the width of the seat has been shrunk down by about 1/2" consistently down the entire length. That means one of the fiberglass guys shrunk things up somewhere down the line. Hopefully it will be an easy fix as the pan needs to be widened evenly and not just in spots. I won't be able to get in touch with the fiberglass guy until Tuesday unfortunately. I'll keep you all posted.

-Joe

cfloren
honda305.com Member

Post by cfloren » Mon May 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Still looking forward to getting one of these whenever they are ready. Thanks for the update and I hope you can work out the dimensional problems without too many more headaches.

-Chris

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:51 am

I contacted Joe on Dec 13 and it looks like the seats won't be completed and all orders will be cancelled and refunded. I think my PayPal email address had changed since this project started almost 3 years ago and I gave him my current one. For others that had skin in this you may want to notify him if your address has changed.

Hoosier Tom wrote:
Joe,

What is the status on the seats? Last update was in May.

Regards- Tom

Hi Tom,

I apologize for the delay in communication. Unfortunately, I haven't had as much time this year to get things worked out with the fiberglass guy. Some revisions still need to be made in order for the pan to fit properly and he's been a bit difficult to get a hold of. That aside, my own personal work has been taking up most of the time. I'm afraid I'll have to refund all of the pre-orders and sell the project in its current state to whomever would like to pick it up as I don't have the free time necessary to do this project any justice. I'm sorry it has gone on for so long without a proper result. I'll be sending out refunds in the next week to the paypal address that was originally paid with.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Joe

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks for updating everyone Tom.

As mentioned in our conversation that was quoted, my free time has diminished over the years. If everything had rolled as smoothly as I had hoped, I'm sure we would have all been sitting on nice seats. Unfortunately, it's a full time job to chase down all the odds and ends that go into making a proper product. That said, most of the connections are made and, as you've seen, a lot of things are in place. If anybody wants to pick this project up, let me know and we can talk details.

I have contacted everyone that has made a deposit either by email or through message on this site. If you have not received a communication from me, please message me so I can get a refund to you. Thanks.

-Joe

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home