Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Any interest in race seat replicas?

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Any interest in race seat replicas?

Post by cyclon36 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:24 am

56_Oval has been kind enough to send me the factory race seat that he had. For those not familiar with it, here's a picture on the bike:

And here's a recent ebay listing for a remaining original: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CY ... 794wt_1165

We will be taking molds off of the original seat pan and the original foam after it has been corrected to make up for shrinkage over the years and any other issues. The pan will be fiberglass with steel reinforcements and steel brackets for attachment. When it's done, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The main goal in this project is to make one for me :-)

Also, I was thinking about making a few extras if anybody was interested. I'm shooting to price them around $350 or so. If you think you would be interested in one of these, please post up so I can get an idea if there is any demand.

Andy's CB
honda305.com Member

Post by Andy's CB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:13 am

was just looking at seats this morning, found this one that looks similar http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... ccessories im not good at telling how good of quality it is from the picture, i would absolutely love to have a seat like that, but its not in my price range (and is as much as i have in the rest of the bike at this point haha...)

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:37 am

Andy's CB wrote:was just looking at seats this morning, found this one that looks similar http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-CB ... ccessories im not good at telling how good of quality it is from the picture, i would absolutely love to have a seat like that, but its not in my price range (and is as much as i have in the rest of the bike at this point haha...)
I've seen those before. I've heard mixed reviews on replica seats as far as fitment goes. Not sure how that seat compares. I know that compared to the real race seat, they look funny and larger looking. There's too much foam on the center or something. Makes it look tall on the bike.
Last edited by cyclon36 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy's CB
honda305.com Member

Post by Andy's CB » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:18 pm

gotcha, good luck with it! maybe i will have a windfall between now and the time you finish and can buy one!

Hoosier Tom
honda305.com Member

Re: Any interest in race seat replicas?

Post by Hoosier Tom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:43 pm

cyclon36 wrote:Also, I was thinking about making a few extras if anybody was interested. I'm shooting to price them around $350 or so. If you think you would be interested in one of these, please post up so I can get an idea if there is any demand.
cyclon36- I am interested. pm sent.

HT

56_oval
honda305.com Member

Post by 56_oval » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:48 am

I cant wait to see how they turn out. With that original to copy, they should come out real nice. I agree with you Joe about those other seats, they kindda look like shit on a bike. Even in the pics they look funny. Oh by the way, if you need to cut that rear bracket feel free, I gotta make a new one anyway.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:16 am

56_oval wrote:I cant wait to see how they turn out. With that original to copy, they should come out real nice. I agree with you Joe about those other seats, they kindda look like shit on a bike. Even in the pics they look funny. Oh by the way, if you need to cut that rear bracket feel free, I gotta make a new one anyway.
Thanks.

I should be getting your seat in today. I'll be meeting with my mold guy at the end of the week and hopefully having something in my hand by next weekend.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home