Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Any interest in race seat replicas?

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Re: CB160

Post by cyclon36 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:11 am

cafepenguin wrote:Hi there, just came across this forum after seeing 56_Oval's seat on dotheton.com and he recommended that I take a look here...

I have a CB160 I just started working on and I want this type of seat on my bike. Do you know if with a bit of modification to the brackets underneath, this seat pan would work on the CB160?

Thanks so much and really fantastic work!!!

James
Email sent.

BTW, the final modifications have been made to the seat mold which called for extending it just a hair and changing the shape of the front lip of the hump. I'm guessing those details went missing with various people sanding the pieces along the way.

Also, since the seat design is finalized, I was able to go ahead and submit the final dimensions for the rear butt plate. This piece will be laser cut out of steel.

-Joe

s2000erick
honda305.com Member

Seat

Post by s2000erick » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks for the update.

aerojack7654
honda305.com Member

Post by aerojack7654 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Just came a cross this thread, any chance that there's a seat slot that I can jump in on? I can send a deposit ASAP if there's one available. It sounds like it's been quite an odyssey, but it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks,
Jack

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 am

Ok, finally recieved a proof from the steel shop that's cutting the butt plate. I've finalized the order with them and should hopefully get these things in in the next few weeks. After that, all the components will be in place and I can crank out the first one.

I already have two final fiberglass seat pans in my hands ready to go once the hardware makes its way in. Those are being made perfectly every time. I'm really excited about the overall quality of them.

Aerojack, I'm holding off new orders until I get everything squared away and have built the first complete seat to make sure there aren't any issues. I've already made plans to have more brackets made and the fiberglass guy doesn't have any issues with regular production so I'll probably end up making more than just the 10 that I had originally intended on doing. So, don't worry about spaces running out as I'll probably keep making these as long as there's interest.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:45 am

Well, as everyone's probably noticed, the metal shop is running behind. I'm basically a small fish in a big pond with them as they're working me a favor with the few pieces I'm having made. They normally do large volume work. I was told UPS had an order with them that was holding us up. Anyway, they're actually eco-coating all of the metal parts in black for me. I sent them the rest of the hardware to get coated also. It's basically and industrial black finish that holds up better than powdercoat.

I've also had time to work with the notching tool to make the appropriate tack strips. Here's a picture of short length that I work up recently. It's the closest I can come to the original tack strip design.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am

Well, after a long wait, ALL of the metal parts are finally in! This means I have everything to start assembling seats. I have a few things I'm finishing up before the thanksgiving break so I won't be able to have one out before then, but it looks like we'll all have christmas presents at the least :-)

I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

-Joe

s2000erick
honda305.com Member

Post by s2000erick » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Good news! Thanks for the update.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home