Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Any interest in race seat replicas?

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 am

Ok, more news in the never ending saga of the seat project...

I had been trying to get in touch with the fiberglass guy for some time and have been having no luck as he's been ignoring my phone calls and emails. Last word from him was that he was giving up on the project because I asked him him to flip the seat mold. As you can imagine, I was not very happy with him to say it kindly.

In the meantime, I had began the search for another fiberglass guy. I ended up getting in touch with a gentleman that's been doing it for the last 40 years and had worked in the past making formula ford bodies. He now has a home shop and only does a few projects a year. I was introduced by a friend in the auto business who's used him in the past with great results. I spoke to him briefly last week and sent him the piece that I had along with many pictures of the seat. He promptly called me back with time estimates, pricing, and what can be done to fix the issues with the seat.

The long and short of it is that he's going to make the pan have the finish on the bottom like it suppose to have, he's also going to give definition back to the ridges of the seat pan so they don't look so rounded off and dulled down. He mentioned he'll have results by next week. We'll see how that goes. I'll report back here once he gets in touch with me.

-Joe

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:38 am

As endless as it all seems, I know how long molding takes. I've been in a Dallara Prototype facility in Ohio and seen how intense it can all be-- and they use CAD/CAM to make most of their molds!

I think this is good news. These seats will be incredible once they're out. Keep us posted, Joe!

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Well, finally some good news. The new fiberglass guy is great. He calls me on time and delivers when he says. I just received the revised seat pan today along with nice pictures of the progression of the project. I would upload the mold pictures but he's not very computer savvy and only sent me a paper print out of them.

Anyway, everything is the way it should be. All the finished sides are facing the right way, the ridges have been sharpened up and it is all sized properly. Don't mind the squared off corners and the flat rear. I will be adjusting those as necessary once the front hump is permanently mounted as well as the rear plate.

Pan from the top

Bottom is nice and finished:

I'll be taking the pan home today, test fitting on the bike to make sure everything is alright dimension wise. After that, I will place the order for the rest of the pans.

Also on the to-do list is to make the rear butt plate. I've been waiting on getting the final pan for this one so I can have the proper measurements for the mount plate. I have made friends with a sheet metal fabrication shop over the past few months which will benefit this portion of the project.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll have more updates as they come in. At least things are finally moving in the right direction.

-Joe

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Looks amazing! Can't wait to see the finished product!

s2000erick
honda305.com Member

Seat

Post by s2000erick » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Looks great! Thanks for the update.

cyclon36
honda305.com Member

Post by cyclon36 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 am

I managed to test fit the seat on the bike yesterday. Through the hands changing, a few dimensions got tweaked. nothing serious, I just need to get a little added to the front to close up a gap that got sanded down over time I guess. I will be sending this pan back to the fiberglass guy for adjustment. Otherwise, it fits great.

cafepenguin
honda305.com Member

CB160

Post by cafepenguin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Hi there, just came across this forum after seeing 56_Oval's seat on dotheton.com and he recommended that I take a look here...

I have a CB160 I just started working on and I want this type of seat on my bike. Do you know if with a bit of modification to the brackets underneath, this seat pan would work on the CB160?

Thanks so much and really fantastic work!!!

James

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home