Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

supercharger

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:52 am

Why not hang a couple of leafblowers, something like this?
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engi ... ewall.html
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

65ShelbyClone
honda305.com Member

Post by 65ShelbyClone » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:02 am

MBellRacing wrote:I'd also be concerned with cooling. Forced induction is hard to sort out on aircooled engines, ask Porsche. I am working with a company on making an EFI kit for the Superhawk... standby on that project!
Cooling is an issue with any engine that gets forced induction, water-cooled engines just typically have more to spare and lower component temperatures in general.

Does that kit have anything to do with the Freescale small engine ECU that a few outfits are using now?
brewsky wrote:Why not hang a couple of leafblowers, something like this?
The problem is that fans make really poor compressors.....and a bike isn't likely to have enough electrical overhead. It would be more efficient to use something driven by the crank or exhaust anyway.

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:42 am

65ShelbyClone wrote:
MBellRacing wrote:I'd also be concerned with cooling. Forced induction is hard to sort out on aircooled engines, ask Porsche. I am working with a company on making an EFI kit for the Superhawk... standby on that project!
Cooling is an issue with any engine that gets forced induction, water-cooled engines just typically have more to spare and lower component temperatures in general.

Does that kit have anything to do with the Freescale small engine ECU that a few outfits are using now?
The problem is that fans make really poor compressors.....and a bike isn't likely to have enough electrical overhead. It would be more efficient to use something driven by the crank or exhaust anyway.
Not enough electrics for sure for a permanent mount, but........
twin gas powered leaf blowers adding 24 HP to a 5700 cc engine is not too bad for some redneck engineering. The gains should be in greater proportion on a smaller cc motor as the boost should be higher??

Not too convienient for street use but maybe for the drags or mile.

I'm seeing a couple of hard shoei saddlebags with the blowers inside plumbed out the front straight to the carb inlets.....remove when you get home, and you are back to stock.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

MBellRacing
honda305.com Member

Post by MBellRacing » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:41 pm

65ShelbyClone wrote:

As far as I know they are using bespoke ECUs and components to an extent. They are trying to break in to the OEM market, from what I've been told.

Watercooled motors, of course, are just more efficient with their cooling and also offer options to increase their cooling ability. Air cooled engines are kinda stuck with the heat transfer they have. What you said is true, obviously the same amount of boost in the same engine, water or air-cooled will be producing the same amount of heat, and yes, watercooled engines can suffer from the same issues, but I feel aircooled engines are going to have a harder time solving the problem.

65ShelbyClone
honda305.com Member

Post by 65ShelbyClone » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Ecotrons is getting a bit of attention on the bike boards I frequent because they're packaging it as a conversion "kit" with just about everything included; wiring, pump, TB, FP, ECU, sensors, etc. The Freescale ECU looks pretty capable. Even has a CEL for getting trouble codes.
brewsky wrote:Not enough electrics for sure for a permanent mount, but........
twin gas powered leaf blowers adding 24 HP to a 5700 cc engine is not too bad for some redneck engineering. The gains should be in greater proportion on a smaller cc motor as the boost should be higher??
Like I said, fans make really poor compressors. The internal clearances are wide and that causes a lot of internal leakage which results in minimal ability to compress the air. As an example, use your hand to block the outlet of a leaf blower. The airflow stops, the fan RPM increases, the air temperature rises....and pressure on your hand decreases. Since the leaf blower would be moving a lot less air for a Honda 305 than it would a 350 Chevy, efficiency would be even lower due to more internal leakage. Positive-displacement compressors don't do that; pressure keeps increasing until something gives and that's why they are useful as superchargers.

Those leaf blowers were rated at 470cfm apiece, 940 combined. At 100% VE, the Vette's engine would be moving ~460. If the leaf blowers were actually moving their full rated volume into the engine, manifold absolute pressure should have about doubled(ignoring changes in temperature) to 29.4psia or 14.7psig(seen on a boost gauge) at sea level.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home