Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB72 Vintage Racer

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Stan Lipert
honda305.com Member

Post by Stan Lipert » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Gordon,
Thanks also for posting your photos, good stuff.
The cutoff dates are not strict, it is best to say that the 72/77 race in the "GP" classes, pre 1968. They race competitively against Ducati singles, Aermacchi singles, no CB350K bikes.

Stan

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

racer stuff

Post by GORDON BROWN » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 am

Hello everyone

Thanks for the response to the pictures. Airmun the gear cam drive is not something Dennis does ( unless he's keeping a secret ), no it's from a article in a Japanese magazine called Clubman, I have attached one of pages as you can see it's not fitted to a racer but a CL72 unfortunately I dont speak / read Japanese ( not much good at english even, just noticed I called Peter Maddocks, Maddox and still have not grasped that Jensen is actualy Jensen and not realy Jensey ? ) anyway mabey it could be translated, if anyone is intrested I could put up the full article.
I thought the gear drive unit was perhaps similar to the VFR type Teazer had mentioned.
Obviously the crank centre and cam "sprocket" gear must be one off's, who knows ?
Intresting but possibly to copy a well known quote, "a solution in need of a problem" as they seem to rev. high enough with a cam chain.

Gordon

SAFOJ
Attachments
CL72 gear train.jpg

Airmun
honda305.com Member

Post by Airmun » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Thank you Gordon. I am inclined to agree with you re the "Solution to a problem" but it is rather well done. I wonder if it is offset and running off the oil pump gear. Counting the teeth might give the answer. The RC149 has a similar drive,albiet with only two gears. Machining and hardening a centre would be a tall order and the whole assembly does not have a factory made look about it.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

race stuff

Post by GORDON BROWN » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Hello everyone

Airmun, I had a better look at the text with the Gear Drive CL article and noticed CR71 mentioned a few times.
G-man posted a couple of pictures of one recently in the Race bikes only section and you can see the double stud setup on the tensioner block so perhaps this makes sense, hopefully someone can confirm this or at least tell me its nonsense ?

Gordon

SAFOJ

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Gordon,
The CR71 was chain drive or at least the 59' was, I know because I had one. It's been quite a while but the engine was basically the same as the CB's that came out later. The upper motor mount was different due to the frames being different. Cliff

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

racer stuff

Post by GORDON BROWN » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:28 am

Hello Cliff

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Thats my "theory" on the cam drive out of the window then, perhaps it is a one off.
Have you managed to dig out your Yoshimura bikes for refurb yet ?

Gordon

SAFOJ

CliffC
honda305.com Member

Post by CliffC » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi Gordon,
Right now I'm in limbo on what I'm going to do with my bikes. I have severe COPD and have about 25-35% of lung capacity and last month caught pneumonia. Now they are saying it will take me about 2 months to regain my strength and I'm relying on more oxygen than in the past. The doctors said I'm supposed to stay away from all fumes, such as cleaning solvents, etc. from now on. I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this time but I may have to rethink what I was going to do with the bikes, I will keep you informed.
Thanks for asking, Cliff

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home