Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Market for old CB77 racer?

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
jerry
honda305.com Member

Post by jerry » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:55 pm

Dear Mark, Just remember this. Do serious costings to put together a CB72/77 race bike today without short cuts. Then think about building one that would be competitive at the highest levels and you start looking at figures that would frighten anyone. Over here in Australia a very average CB72/77 out to 350 would be in about the $8k to $10k price range and I personally think that is cheap. All the best Jerry

markstertt
honda305.com Member

Post by markstertt » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Jerry, I think I must have misinterpeted your first response in regards to 'freedomgli's' value estimate. I thought you implied that his quote was to high and that there wasn't that much value in an old CB77 racer but your second post makes me think I'm undervaluing the bike...in that case it may be worth my while to clean this bike up, get it running and then see what the market will bear....the amount of supporting paper work and notes from that era alone are fun reading, bro corresponded with a lot of people back then and has hand written responses from the Honda company people, the original Kibblewhite and many others I can't remember...catalogs, race parts books, decals etc. The days of the privateers were something...Mark

jerry
honda305.com Member

Post by jerry » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Dear Mark, We are now on the same page. All the best jerry

freedomgli
honda305.com Member

Post by freedomgli » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:19 am

jerry wrote:Dear Freedomgli, You are out on your figures at the top end of the scale for CB72/77 Racers. There is a hell of a lot of work in a pointy end racer. The figures you quote do not come near. No offence intended. All the best Jerry
No doubt building a CB77 racer costs a great deal of money. It's almost certainly more than the cost of buying an already well sorted bike built by someone else. In fact, building up a race bike from a street bike is almost always a financially losing proposition. I'm just sharing what I believe the market will bear. I think it would take an exceptional set of circumstances for someone to spend $25k+ to buy a tricked out CB77.

I know of a very trick, freshly built CB77 racer that recently sold for around $10k USD. How much do you think a tired, dirty, non-running clubman level race bike that's been parked up for years will sell for? There can't be that many people willing to take on such a project. It's probably worth more in spare parts if sold off piecemeal (TZ250 4LS brake can bring some bucks).

If you're most interested in getting top dollar then advertise it everywhere you can including eBay. Then you'll see just how much the market will bear. If you don't want it and can't do anything with it then be happy to accept a reasonable offer to take it off your hands. I think $4k for a project CB77 racer in need of restoration is more than fair when you can get fully sorted CB350 race bikes for 1/2 that or less and have just as much fun if not more. Maybe add a grand or two given all the documentation, spares, TZ front brake. But I don't see this being an $8k bike based on the description given so far.

markstertt
honda305.com Member

Post by markstertt » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:44 am

Freedomgli, your input is much appreciated and I don't think I have any delusions of this bikes possible value at this time. What I have learned here is basically not to give the bike away, I don't plan to part it out as I just don't have the time and would really hate to see it in pieces. I probably should get it running however time is still an issue, we'll see.

Between yours and Jerry's input I do see the bike has value and that is what I was looking for and probably Ebay would be the best bet...thanks guys...Mark

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home