Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB72-77 Racer

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
lloydy1
honda305.com Member

Post by lloydy1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:29 am

RCP_Espresso wrote:What charging unit/stator are you running?
Hi

I did send a PM not sure if you got it??? but for all to know I have listed the link below.

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... aSTK_2d172

Cheers Dave

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:31 am

Thanks for the info, certainly looks the business, be sure to let us know how it works.

I used a Boyer for a long time on my race bike which needed a battery but otherwise it was no trouble, much les bother than the original points system. Later I fitted a (modified Yamaha TZ) Motoplat unit which was self generating, clearly the way to go. I don't think the Motoplat stuff is available now though even if you wanted it.

Did you ever get round to checking the sprocket sizes, it certainly looks as if it's been pulling a big gear, or trying to,

DJM

lloydy1
honda305.com Member

Post by lloydy1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 am

DJM wrote:Thanks for the info, certainly looks the business, be sure to let us know how it works.

I used a Boyer for a long time on my race bike which needed a battery but otherwise it was no trouble, much les bother than the original points system. Later I fitted a (modified Yamaha TZ) Motoplat unit which was self generating, clearly the way to go. I don't think the Motoplat stuff is available now though even if you wanted it.

Did you ever get round to checking the sprocket sizes, it certainly looks as if it's been pulling a big gear, or trying to,

DJM
Hi DJM

Apologies about not answering your question on the sprockets earlier.

The front is 17 and the rear 32. I have not changed them from when I got the bike, so unable to say have she runs with this set up.

She is not far off getting her up and running, maybe a month. I just need to sort the tank, seat and fairing concerning paint work and a few repairs.

Engine wise she is complete now, except breather adapter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360581255569? ... EBIDX%3AIT which I would like very much and some small jobs.

I will hopefully get a little film posted on here to show.

You mentioned a bung...??

Cheers Dave
Attachments
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG (95.93 KiB) Viewed 4084 times

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi,

I thought that the front sprocket looked a bit big, at 17T it's as big as you can go without the chain fouling the crankcases!

However, teamed with a 32 rear the overall gearing isn't that tall so the motor should cope OK.

Looking at your engine rebuild pictures the top end looks pretty standard, valves look standard and the yellow 'inspection' paint on the camshaft suggests a standard part too.

These bottom end of these bikes is really strong and the Nova five speed box is a great thing to have. Most of the power increase from these engines comes from the top half of the engine so plenty to think about if you want to go a bit faster,

The Cappelini breather is neat but I just used an adaptor made from an old dipstick and fitted a 1/2" bore hose onto it, you'll need a catch tank if you are planning on getting near a race track today as well as a 'shark fin in front of the rear sprocket. I think an oil containment tank under the engine is pretty well compulsory now too.

Part number for the neutral switch blanking plug is 91204 KV0 000, I think it's originally from a CB200 but it fits perfectly and does the job.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration,

DJM

lloydy1
honda305.com Member

Post by lloydy1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 pm

DJM wrote:Hi,

I thought that the front sprocket looked a bit big, at 17T it's as big as you can go without the chain fouling the crankcases!

However, teamed with a 32 rear the overall gearing isn't that tall so the motor should cope OK.

Looking at your engine rebuild pictures the top end looks pretty standard, valves look standard and the yellow 'inspection' paint on the camshaft suggests a standard part too.

These bottom end of these bikes is really strong and the Nova five speed box is a great thing to have. Most of the power increase from these engines comes from the top half of the engine so plenty to think about if you want to go a bit faster,

The Cappelini breather is neat but I just used an adaptor made from an old dipstick and fitted a 1/2" bore hose onto it, you'll need a catch tank if you are planning on getting near a race track today as well as a 'shark fin in front of the rear sprocket. I think an oil containment tank under the engine is pretty well compulsory now too.

Part number for the neutral switch blanking plug is 91204 KV0 000, I think it's originally from a CB200 but it fits perfectly and does the job.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration,

DJM
Just picked up a blank from Ebay...Only one on there. looking on Bill Silvers site it is discontinued part. Lucky to get one I think. Thanks for your guidance on this.

The breather has been adapted to connect to the frame, so no need for a catch tank. Pic attached.

She does have 64.25mm pistons making her just over 350, so I don't know how she will run with as you say standard valves and cam.

I need to do something with the open meg silencers, as it will be very loud I'm sure.

Dave
Attachments
Photo 5.jpg
Photo 5.jpg (146.5 KiB) Viewed 4056 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:02 pm

Won't be long before you hear that roar.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

lloydy1
honda305.com Member

Post by lloydy1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:39 pm

G-Man wrote:Won't be long before you hear that roar.

G
Hi G,

Hope you are well?

3 or 4 weeks away I think. I will get the exhausts on this weekend and a few bits.

Been sorting the tank out. This one is fibreglass, would love to get hold of a aluminium one of the same shape.

Cheers Dave
Attachments
IMG_1448.JPG
IMG_1448.JPG (137.75 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1449.JPG (121.72 KiB) Viewed 3988 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home