Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Info on fuel tank in this forum

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Info on fuel tank in this forum

Post by Dick Eastman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:16 pm

Page 5, top, thread "CB72 Vintage Racer", author Stan Lipert. Stan posted photos of his bike on the first page. I have been unable to contact him regarding the fuel tank on his bike. Does anyone know the mfr of it?
Also, of similar size, is Gordon Brown's race bike about 3 pgs into "Race Bikes Only" thread. Any info on that?
I've looked on Airtech's site, but I would like to get some dimensions on Stan's or Gordon's to get some idea of a good starting place.
Thanks.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

race fuel tank

Post by GORDON BROWN » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:44 am

Hello Dick

I am not sure about Stan's tank hopefully he can give you some details. The tank on my one is a fiberglass copy of a early 60's works Honda 125 ( probably a RC143 ) it was made with the bottom to clear the CB72 chassis. I had a alloy plate put in the rear and used a big bore central tap, I think it was a CR500 M/X one. Unfortunately Tony Milk who made it and a lot of other period style parts inc. the seat and fairing died a number of years ago.
I thought it looked OK on the CB72/77's as they are not that big. However I did get caught out at one race which had a number of restarts and ran out of fuel on the slow down lap
( fortunately after the flag ). I had intended to fit a small sump to help get a few more miles but never got round to it.

Gordon

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Re: race fuel tank

Post by Dick Eastman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:25 am

GORDON BROWN wrote:Hello Dick

I am not sure about Stan's tank hopefully he can give you some details. The tank on my one is a fiberglass copy of a early 60's works Honda 125 ( probably a RC143 ) it was made with the bottom to clear the CB72 chassis. I had a alloy plate put in the rear and used a big bore central tap, I think it was a CR500 M/X one. Unfortunately Tony Milk who made it and a lot of other period style parts inc. the seat and fairing died a number of years ago.
I thought it looked OK on the CB72/77's as they are not that big. However I did get caught out at one race which had a number of restarts and ran out of fuel on the slow down lap
( fortunately after the flag ). I had intended to fit a small sump to help get a few more miles but never got round to it.

Gordon
Thanks, Gordon.
Airtech has a number of tanks, with dimensions, and model-specific, none of which are CB72/77. Perhaps overall length and width dimensions from yours would help narrow down the selection Airtech offers. Also helpful would be the distance from the rear of your tank to the centerline of the top shock mounting studs, as this is important for seat placement.
I still have welding to do on my frame, such as mounting points for the tank, seat, a rear loop to join the frame where the stock seat mounts were removed, and two horizontal braces above the motor mount "box". I ordered some 24mm OD x 21mm ID 1018 steel tubing for the braces and loop. I cut off the stock seat mounts, the steering lock [from head stock and lower triple], battery box, stock muffler mnts, ignition bracket. I did a mock up of the bare engine to make sure all motor mount locations were correct [some were distorted from not properly shimming frame to engine], as I don't want any issues after the frame is powder coated.
I have a NOS center stand on the way, as the original was worn out, I'll have to turn up some bushings to repair the frame where the ctr stand bolts were loose and elongated the mntg holes in the frame. I've got new bronze bushings for the swing arm, as well. I'm also cleaning up weld splatter and some pitting on the frame and swing arm. The frame was quite rough and the previous owner had repainted it over the rust, and the battery box was heavily pitted.
BTW Gordon, how many liters/gallons is your tank?
Attachments
replica project group1 001 (Medium).jpg
replica project group1 001 (Medium).jpg (65.39 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
replica project group1 002 (Medium).jpg
replica project group1 002 (Medium).jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 5393 times
replica project group1 003 (Medium).jpg
replica project group1 003 (Medium).jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 5392 times

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Info on fuel tank in this forum

Post by G-Man » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:10 am

Dick

This seller isn't in the US but they do some interesting stuff.

G

http://www.jl-exhausts.com/honda-cb7277 ... -271-c.asp

Dick Eastman wrote:Page 5, top, thread "CB72 Vintage Racer", author Stan Lipert. Stan posted photos of his bike on the first page. I have been unable to contact him regarding the fuel tank on his bike. Does anyone know the mfr of it?
Also, of similar size, is Gordon Brown's race bike about 3 pgs into "Race Bikes Only" thread. Any info on that?
I've looked on Airtech's site, but I would like to get some dimensions on Stan's or Gordon's to get some idea of a good starting place.
Thanks.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

leonvjames
honda305.com Member

Post by leonvjames » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:15 am

years ago when my centre stand frame holes wore out I welded some thin 17mm nuts there and used another nut as a lock nut. No problems since then.
leon.

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Re: Info on fuel tank in this forum

Post by Dick Eastman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:48 am

G-Man wrote:Dick

This seller isn't in the US but they do some interesting stuff.

G

http://www.jl-exhausts.com/honda-cb7277 ... -271-c.asp

Dick Eastman wrote:Page 5, top, thread "CB72 Vintage Racer", author Stan Lipert. Stan posted photos of his bike on the first page. I have been unable to contact him regarding the fuel tank on his bike. Does anyone know the mfr of it?
Thanks.
Very nice - pricey - but very nice. They are alloy.

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:52 am

leonvjames wrote:years ago when my centre stand frame holes wore out I welded some thin 17mm nuts there and used another nut as a lock nut. No problems since then.
leon.
Thanks - good idea. What I am doing, similar. I will turn up a shouldered washer and weld into place.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home