Admirers

Info on fuel tank in this forum

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

Fuel tank

Post by GORDON BROWN » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:12 am

Hello Dick

Finally got a look at the Airtech site, that Bridgestone tank should look good, being a little higher at the front should help with the gap to the top yoke.
Looks like a nice project, can you post some pictures when you get it fitted.

Gordon

Stan Lipert
honda305.com Member

Post by Stan Lipert » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 am

Dick, Sorry, I didn't see any contact.

I made my tank and seat myself. The seat is folded/welded/ hammered .040" cold rolled steel. The tank is a Honda CL77 that I sectioned and lengthened. The tunnel and sump are new fabrications. All welded steel. I just made the size as I thought looked good.

I personally would not trust a fiberglass tank- even with Caswell to any fuel containing ethanol. One crack in the lining and it's all over.

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Glass from the Past.........www.gftpcafeparts.com..........has a wide array of racing tanks...........I don't know about today........but the original tanks were made of vinyl fiber.......not fiberglass.......and would take any type of fuel. I showed a CL77 cafe-build with GFTP tank at the first VMD (Mid-Ohio) cafe show I think in 2008.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

fuel tank

Post by GORDON BROWN » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Hello

Stan, unless you told me I would never had realised that your tank was made from "something else". Your bike is looking good, did you ever get anywhere regarding the 350cc pistons ?

Gordon

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 am

Thank you, Stan- I did not see this until today.
Your tank and seat are beautiful - very interesting to see that it is a scrambler-derived tank! The seat is a work of art!
Thanks for your input on Caswell. My tank should be here in a week or so from Airtech, and Caswell's site is an interesting read, and seems best of sealers available. I will rubber-mount the tank to the frame, and your caution is well-heeded - I'll see what fuels available locally without ethanol.
I do really appreciate the photos - it appears you have some unique bikes in your stable!
Best regards,
Dick

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Stan,
I sent you a PM.
What rims and tires? Front forks and rear shocks?
Thanks,
Dick

Stan Lipert
honda305.com Member

Post by Stan Lipert » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:26 pm

Dick,
I'll try to call tomorrow. The front rim is a rear XS650 polished flange rim, laced to the GT750 hub. The rear is a unknown? DID? It needs to match the front, so I may change that in the future.

Gordon, I'll get back to work on the engine in a month or so, and check into my piston selection- I have a few to choose from.

Stan

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home