Admirers

Info on fuel tank in this forum

CYP77 - Police | Race Bikes | Choppers, Bobbers and Mods
GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

racer fuel tank

Post by GORDON BROWN » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:35 am

Hello Dick

Sorry I cant give you the measurement ( back of tank to shock mount ) as the chassis is in storage at present. I did check the tank and it is approx. 63 cms. long, capacity is about 7.5 L.
I have attached a couple of old pictures which might give you a better idea of how it looks etc.
I did feel that it could have done with a bit more height as it makes the headstock area look tall but you don't notice so much when the fairing is on!

Gordon
Attachments
Scan0006.jpg
Scan0006.jpg (306.9 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks. Gordon
63cm is about 25"; the side view, w/o fairing is a good photo as it shows how far back on the frame your tank sits.
Dutch, at Airtech, suggested several, one 26"long [ model X62, Suzuki X-6 Hustler], and a BS1753, 28"long, for a Bridgestone 175. I don't want to get a tank too long, as I am 170cm tall.
Gordon, you sure dwarf that bike! Do you have to duck going through doorways? I appreciate the photos - thanks again!
Dick

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

race fuel tank

Post by GORDON BROWN » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:39 am

Hello Dick

Thanks for your concern re. the doors etc. but its just the way the picture has been taken. I am only about 5'8". It shows how small these bikes compared to the later stuff.

Gordon

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Post by Dick Eastman » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:41 am

My last bike ['01 Kaw ZRX1200R] was tall enough I was on my tip toes - after riding my Super Hawk, again, after 48 years since my first one, I was pleasantly surprised at how small and agile these bikes are.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: racer fuel tank

Post by G-Man » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:58 am

Gordon

Great pictures!

Will you be at Stafford in April?

G

GORDON BROWN wrote:ON BROWN"]Hello Dick

Sorry I cant give you the measurement ( back of tank to shock mount ) as the chassis is in storage at present. I did check the tank and it is approx. 63 cms. long, capacity is about 7.5 L.
I have attached a couple of old pictures which might give you a better idea of how it looks etc.
I did feel that it could have done with a bit more height as it makes the headstock area look tall but you don't notice so much when the fairing is on!

Gordon
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

race tanks

Post by GORDON BROWN » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:32 am

Hello Dick / G.Man

Sorry for the late return. Dick I had missed the PM, anyway the tank is approx. 190mm at the rear, tapering to 140mm at the top rear ( good for getting tucked in ) it comes out to about 240mm at the widest point in front of knee indents then to about 200mm at the front before it rounds off. The height is about 110 -120mm. I hope this helps, as it is I like the fact that it sits nice and "flat" on the chassis but as I said it could do with being taller as it looks low at the headstock to me.

G-Man, I don't know about Stafford yet but will give you a shout when I find out.

I was looking at the pictures and thinking about that bike at that time ( it worked quite well even managing to some class wins) as is the case with racers it was always getting changed
but it was probably as good as it got at that point.

Gordon

Dick Eastman
honda305.com Member

Re: race tanks

Post by Dick Eastman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:17 pm

GORDON BROWN wrote:Hello Dick / G.Man

Sorry for the late return. Dick I had missed the PM, anyway the tank is approx. 190mm at the rear, tapering to 140mm at the top rear ( good for getting tucked in ) it comes out to about 240mm at the widest point in front of knee indents then to about 200mm at the front before it rounds off. The height is about 110 -120mm. I hope this helps, as it is I like the fact that it sits nice and "flat" on the chassis but as I said it could do with being taller as it looks low at the headstock to me.

G-Man, I don't know about Stafford yet but will give you a shout when I find out.

I was looking at the pictures and thinking about that bike at that time ( it worked quite well even managing to some class wins) as is the case with racers it was always getting changed
but it was probably as good as it got at that point.

Gordon
Thanks, Gordon, I appreciate you taking the time to measure your tank.
Based on what your dims are, I got with Dutch at Airtech, and sent to him photos of my frame. We decided on the Bridgestone 175 tank. The model, under their vintage tank section, is BS1753. They can put the petcock bung anywhere I choose, so I will have them place it about 3" back from where the sub-frame joins the main backbone, and centered. I have yet to determine the front mounting points - more measurements in order. The rear tab on the tank will be over the sub-frame cross member, so just a tapped hole there. This tank is slightly taller than yours, and narrower at front and rear. I will have to seal it with Caswell, as well.
Once I receive it, I'll be able to weld mounting tabs on the frame, fit the seat, and weld tabs for that. I'll also weld two 24mm dia. bracings from the main down tube back to the sub-frame, similar to yours. I'll have to cut off, or press out the stock front tank mounting post, too. The frame will then be ready for powder coat.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home